It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Chapter 8, Page 4, Book 10


Live a balanced life--learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some

Robert Fulghum



Celebrating WONDERFUL Wednesday!

Yesterday I got started on one of my painting projects. I'm painting plaques made out of slate for the two most recent grandchildren and for the one that is coming in September.

Slate is one of my favorite painting surfaces. When I went shopping last Saturday I was able to find an abundant supply of cut slate. I bought a good deal of it so that I'll have plenty on hand when I find something that would be appropriate done on slate.

It's not easy to find so I felt very fortunate indeed.

Acrylic paints work best on slate and give the brightest results. You have let the first coat dry as slate can soak up the paint. The ones I bought had holes drilled into them and a leather strap attached for hanging.

The slates below show the first coat of paint. I did get a second coat on yesterday and today I hope to get the actual picture painted on it and the lettering. I'll put each child's name and birthdate on it .



Hopefully by next week I can show you what the finished slate looks like.

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL Wednesday!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

MA, I never even thought about painting on slate~what a great idea! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Blessings~Sharon

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Can't wait!!

Enjoy

Linda :) said...

I love these!! Can't wait to see when they are finished... :)

jack69 said...

So more artistic talents come out. What a grand idea for the kids. I know they will be thrilled.

It is a wonderful day up here in Wisconsin. The weather is great.

From down town Park Falls

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

Your grandbabes will love it.
What a wonderful idea.
I would love to make something like that for my grandbaby.