It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 30, 2010

Chapter 8, Page 30, Book 10

Happiness is a small house, with a big kitchen.

Alfred Hitchcock

Most of the time when I'm at home, I'm in my kitchen. It really isn't large but it's one of my favorite rooms in my house.

I was blessed with some sons that took the time to redo it for me a few years ago. Their wives even organized the cupboards and drawers in it for me. I've managed to keep things where they belong so it's still very organized.

It's really the only place in my house where I can find what I'm looking for all the time. I used to have a dishwasher but when it died I never replaced it. What I gained was extra cupboard space and also counter top space. So that is where I set up my laptop.

I also have a little TV that hangs from under the cupboard, so I can watch the news when I want to. It also lets me play CDs, watch movies if I want and has a place to plug in my Ipod. I can set the Ipod to display the pictures I've downloaded into it so they flash on the TV screen too.

Last year I purchased a new fridge. It has an ice maker in it and any time I want I get cubes or cold water. All I have to do is press a button. Of course the kitchen is where my coffee pot is too. I have one of those nice ones with a timer. So if I set it before going to bed, I have coffee ready when I wake up in the morning.

The kitchen is just large enough that I have a table and 4 chairs in the middle of it. That's nice for having breakfast, or even doing some of my craft projects. My kitchen has the best lighting in the whole house so when I'm painting something that is very important.
I do have a craft room (my studio) where everything is stored, but the lighting just isn't as good there.

It's no wonder I love my kitchen.

Did you ever notice when you have people visiting, that the kitchen is usually a favorite place to gather too. Kitchens are a warm and welcoming space. What would we do without them?

Whoever is happy will make others happy, too

Mark Twain

I'm enjoying my space this morning with my good cup of coffee. It's 'MERRY' Monday so what better way to celebrate it than to be in my favorite room of the house.

I hope your Monday is a MERRY one too!
'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

Angie said...

I like being in the kitchen too! Not necessarily doing anything in particular there, just 'being'. If I had a wad of money it would be nice to have my kitchen re-done with everything extra low for me - oh and a dishwasher! Perhaps have in one of those companies that design kitchens specially.

That corgi :) said...

I always think we gather in the kitchen because it is so homey usually and filled with good smells if people are cooking or baking; your kitchen sounds like a very nice one Ma!! how sweet for your family to re-model it and organize it for you! What a blessing that was I bet!

betty

Barbara said...

Your kitchen sounds so much fun. I have my main activities in life spread around the house so am in and out of different rooms.

The kitchen part of my house is open plan into the dining room with a small sitting room to the side and we did this when making alterations many y ears ago as generally people do congregate to the kitchen area if I am busy there so we took this into account.

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

At my Moms house we were always in the kitchen...yours sounds wonderful. I just bet your good cooking keeps those grandbabes in the kitchen with you.
How exciting about the new baby.
Hope everything goes well for both mother and baby.
Can't wait to see pictures.

grammy said...

It sounds like all you really need is your kicthen (o:
Sounds so homie and perfect.
Mine is really not that big and yes everyone hangs out there.

jack69 said...

I think mark Twain's quote is tru of you!
Love from MOab (sounds like Bible doesn't it?), Utah.