It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, August 13, 2010

Chapter 8, Page 13, Book 10

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr


I think it's FANTASTIC that I've reached an age I can finally be wise and sage and mellow; it's great to be at the point in my life where I understand just what matters in life.

The prayer above has given me some very good guidelines to live by

The serenity to accept the things we cannot change

Courage to change the things we can and wisdom to know the difference.

Wisdom, resilience and perspective are often cited as the hard-won prizes of aging. But growing old itself is an accomplishment.

It’s been discovered that attitude has an enormous role in how we age. I think graceful aging means finding a balance between acceptance of the inevitability of aging and doing what we can to remain vital and healthy as long as possible

Aging gracefully is embracing life with all that you have and loving it. The truth of the matter is that as long as we're breathing we're going to age.

I am enjoying life now and embracing the inevitable with a big smile and open arms because aging gracefully is a choice. For me now is the time I can fully feel comfortable with myself.

Let's face it, getting old is tough enough. Pretending we're something we're not makes aging even harder. By the time you reach my age we all hope that we've found the wisdom to know who we truly are.

It's important to have a twinkle in your wrinkle

Author Unknown

No matter what our age is the Serenity Prayer is one we all can try to live by.

Have a fantastic Friday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

7 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

What a lovely post! I'm with you on accepting aging gracefully, I want to stay fit and healthy but I'm not going the face lift route or any of that foolishness. I've earned these wrinkles! ha! I love this stage in my life and am thankful for good health, of course we all have a few aches and pains but I can deal with that. :o)

Again GREAT post!!!

peggy said...

I always love your posts about aging. This week, my grandson and I were looking at my wrinkly arms and comparing with his. I will have to remember that there are twinkles in my wrinkles.

jack69 said...

"The serenity to accept the things we cannot change


Courage to change the things we can and wisdom to know the difference." unquote

Thanks for posting that. I cannot read or pray it enough. I have to continually review my life or I get caught up in a 'lack of wisdom moment'.

Glad you are well and have reached the age of 'wisdom'.

Love from Missouri

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

What a beautiful post MA! You are so right, and in this day and age with so much fighting and blaming~the serenity prayer is good reminder of how to pray and how to live. I love the "twinkle in your wrinkle!" Wonderful!! I'm so happy that I came to visit you today. Blessings~Sharon

Ally Lifewithally said...

I just love that "Twinkles in my wrinkles" ~ I have always liked that poem the words are lovely ~ Ally x

Ally Lifewithally said...

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THAT POEM ~ and I loved the "Twinkles in my wrinkles" ~ and I enjoyed your post and hope this Friday is a happy and blessed one for you ~ Ally x

Martha (MM) said...

I agree Ma!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)