It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, July 23, 2010

Chapter 7, Page 23, Book 10


This picture was of the sunset on Thursday evening


It's FANTASTIC Friday!

FANTASTIC: Wonderful or superb; remarkable: extraordinarily good or great

Life takes on new meaning when we invest ourselves in others

Many people find that when they retire they have nothing meaningful to do with their time. I'm one that has so many things to do that I'll never have enough time to do it all. Besides having a large family, I love to do many things. But I do find that those times I spend with my family are often the best ones.

Sometimes the help I give them is only that of helping them to celebrate a special date like a birthday or anniversary, other times I do a little baby sitting or cook something for them. I don't like to be a meddling parent or in law so most of the time I wait for them to let me know how I can help, but there are times in all their lives when I think the most important thing I can do is just to be there for them.

I've learned to be very flexible and often have found my plans changed, but one thing I do have is lots of time so if plans change, I don't ever worry about what I didn't do, but consider it a privilege to be able to go where I'm needed or to do what needs done.

This past April when I watched DS#6's little one while they worked, I found myself busier than I'd been in a long long time, but I loved every moment of it. They thanked me for my help but really it was I who was thankful to them for letting me do that. I've never had that much time with any of my other grand children. I would love to have a month every year with each of them.

This morning I'm alone as I am much of the time, but I'm cooking for some of my family that will be here by dinner time this evening and that makes it a FANTASTIC Friday for me.

I hope it's a FANTASTIC one for you too!

'On Ya'-ma



4 comments:

Kathy said...

You are so right. You are also very lucky to have such a great family. And they are so lucky to have you. Have a wonderful day!

jack69 said...

Many folks are not ready for retirement. Sound like you were, and are enjoying it. All the difference in the world, to still be happy and content.
We passed thru Ohio yesterday and
Sherry caught a barn, like you have on your side bar, with Ohio painted on it.
Continue to enjoy life, we are in Michigan for a week. then off to see the Wizard again.
Love from the Wayne County Fair campgrounds.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Enjoy your weekend!!

Jenny said...

Families make you laugh and make you cry but we love them and wouldn't be without them.
Jenny <><