It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Chapter 6, Page 9, Book 10

Linger Longer

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.

Alfred Tenn

Due to our jobs and family obligations many of us have put aside our passions to focus on practical goals. I've found, however, that if we don't continue to do what we love, we are in danger of forgetting exactly what it was that made us happy and enthusiastic. Years of taking care of a big family and working taught me many lessons but one of the most important was the fact that I could very easily loose sight of those things that I love to do

I remember being very envious of my husbands Saturday golf league. Every week he'd go off to golf with his buddies and leave me at home with the house work and the kids.

I decided that I too needed something I enjoyed doing and reintroduced myself to my passion for sewing. My children all had matching outfits of every color that year.

Another time later in life I heard about some painting classes that one of my friends was taking. Knowing that I'd love to do that, I signed up and took about 3 years worth of those painting classes. A different friend and I even were able to sell what we had painted and had hours of fun doing something we loved and even made a little money doing it.

It is so fulfilling and uplifting to do something you love to do.

If you don’t have time during the week, try to indulge your passions on weekends, vacations or holidays. If you linger longer with something you love to do, you will discover just how much better you'll feel. The wonderful feeling that you get when you do something you love to do has a very positive chain reaction. You'll feel better, have more energy and be more enthusiastic about life in general.

The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday everyone!

'On Ya'-ma

5 comments:

Jan said...

I would love to see paintings you have done ,and Yes I made outfits for my kids too ,what a sense of acheivement and satisfaction that gave ..love Jan xx

Angie said...

I can't see me sewing. Good thing we never had children or they'd have had to go around in the buff! It is a good feeling though when you turn out to be good at something that most other people can't imagine being able to do. That happened to me when I took up cake decorating and sugarcraft. To my amazement (and everyone else's) I turned out quite good at it. You do need a bit better mobility than I now have so, sadly, I have had to give that up. BUT there will be some other thing I'm sure.

That corgi :) said...

great advice given, Ma!! You are talented with your painting with what you have shared with what you have made for your grandchildren over the years as Christmas gifts! I enjoy reading (and not just blogs, LOL) so I've been making it a point to spend time daily reading a book and sometimes lingering too long in it if it has a great story line :)

betty

grammy said...

That was so cool that you were able to sell some of your art work. I so know what you mean about hubby doing something while we are still home with the kids. That generation was really a lot different than this one I think. I loved you robin post. I always sing that song when the kids and I see a robin in the yard.
All that rain at the camp ground. Oh my. We have swollen rivers and creeks around here.

jack69 said...

Ma, your entries are full of common sense and great advice. More power to you, that was great takeing ht painting classes. I wish I had earleir in my life. If we ever settle down there are two things that are going to fill our time. I am taking a class on Art, a class on computers and WE plan to learn to dance.

At present we are following the dream of travel.
Thanks!