It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, June 11, 2010

Chapter 6, Page 11, Book 10


One of the great joys of growing older is the arrival of grandchildren and the mutual adoration that so often springs up between the youngest and oldest members of a family.

I do have 13 grandchildren. 7 of them are presently li
ving in Ohio and the rest are out of state. None of the ones in Ohio live close to home. I just got to spend a whole month with the youngest one in May and that was a special treat for me. In the summer I often see 3 of them as DS#1 and family c
amp on the weekends right next to my camper. All the rest I see only on special occasions or holidays. The ones far away I see even less of. So I have to say it's very hard being a grand'ma' long distance.

The good news is that #14 is arriving in September and I'm thrilled because this one will live in my home town. Thankfully one of my grand'babes will finally live close to home. God willing I will be seeing a lot of him. This will be the first child for DS#5 and his wife.
if your grandchildren live hundreds or even thousands of miles away, you may find your love mixed with large measures of sadness, resentment and anxiety.I never thought I wouldn't get to see my grandchildren grow up.

I'm always so thankful for the internet that keeps me in touch with my family. I admit they do hear a lot more from me than I do from them, but still they always know what's going on at my house. It's really the main reason I started blogging in the first place. Showing pictures of what I do and where I am I'm hoping keeps us connected.

Today I'm blessed with having the 3 that camp next door to my camper. I just love them to pieces and am full of joy just to be around them. Their dad is my oldest son and I like to tell them stories about when their dad was little. Yesterday evening I asked them if they would like a tomato for supper and found they don't like them. Little things like that are what long distance grand'ma's don't know about. Well of course I had to tell them how my mom used to feed their dad tomatoes right out of her garden. He loved those little cherry tomatoes. My mother saw her grand children pretty often as they lived close by.

Our weather is supposed to be pretty good today and it'll be a busy one . I'm sure I'll be loving every moment of being able to spend some time with at least a few of my grandchildren.

I hope your Friday is a FANTASTIC one too!

'On Ya'-ma

6 comments:

jack69 said...

Hope you too have a wonderful weekend. The Grands are indeed a blessing (especially as babes, ha!)

I started a journal because of the distance also. With my hearing gone, the net is a blessing.

Hollie said...

I know it is hard being a long distance grandma, but I know you make the time you have with them very special. Have a great weekend!

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Oh MA! What fun what joy! I am so happy that you are enjoying your family and your retirement. Say....do you miss work??! Ha!! No time for that, right?
Hugs & Love, Sharon

Angie said...

A bitter-sweet entry today Ma. Do I detect a slight note of longing in there? Have a lovely weekend!

Sybil said...

Hi Ma, it has been a lovley day here today sunshine and warm...what a treat...My Mum and I knew all to well how it was to be far away Grannies and Auntie..as my sister Sarah has always lived down here in Bath and we were up in Scotland. we only saw the two girls twice a year once when they came up and once when we came down...what joy it was for us all when we came down here to stay as well, although by that time the girls were all grown up but were always every very close to us Sarah used to let them "speak" to us every night by looking at a photograph!! and we would telephone once a week every Friday was the phone night !!
Have a wonderful weekend Ma
Much love Sybil xx

That corgi :) said...

I think you knew just the right time to retire, Ma, with baby #14 coming along and in your town indeed! I'm sure you will spend as much time as you can with the little one! I didn't realize your grandchildren weren't as close in living around you; I thought for some reason your family was pretty much all together in an area with maybe one or two living a bit away. That would be hard to try to keep up a relationship with, but I think you do a great job with camping time with those that camp and holiday time as it always seems like you have a great gathering at your place during the holiday time

enjoy your weekend with the grands!

betty