It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chapter 5, Page 16, Book 10

A small boy once approached his slightly older sister with a question about God. Susie, can anybody ever really see God? he asked.

Busy with other things, Susie curtly replied: No, of course
not silly. God is so far up in heaven that nobody can see him.

Time passed, but his question still lingered so he approached his mom: Mom, can anybody ever really see God? No, not really, she gently said. God is a spirit and he dwells in our hearts, but we can never really see Him.

Somewhat satisfied but still wondering, the youngster went on his way. Not long afterwards, his saintly old grandfather took the little boy on a fishing trip.

They were having a great time together. The sun was beginning to set with unusual splendor and the grandfather stared silently at the exquisite beauty unfolding before them.

On seeing the face of his grandfather reflecting such deep
peace and contentment, the little boy thought for a moment and finally spoke hesitatingly:

Granddad, I--I-- wasn't going to ask anybody else, but I wonder if you can tell me the answer to something I've been wondering about a long time. Can anybody - can anybody ever really see God?

The old man did not even turn his head. A long moment slipped by before he finally answered. Son, he quietly said. It's getting so I can't see anything else


BY AUTHOR UNKNOWN

It's Sunday and it means it is my day for lots of R & R. We all need a day to rest and renew ourselves. To enjoy a lie-in without feeling guilty, and to spend a relaxing day pottering about the garden or catching up in your reading. SUNDAYS and refreshment are synonymous to me.

My retirement has been every bit as grand as I'd hoped because I've been able to help DS#6 and his wife out with some babysitting. This will be my final week for that and then the following week this Grand'ma' will be on the road again. I'll be taking off to go and see our Princess's Violin concert next week. She's invited me before but I was never able to go since I was working. Now I can participate in lots more family celebrations. If it wasn't for all the driving, I'd be doing even more but sadly most of my children do not live close by at all.

The last week of May will find me at the campground. It's was mid April last time I was there and now I'll be able to be at my little place in the woods for most of the summer and into the fall.

R & R has become a way of life for me. Is there such a thing as too much rest or too much relaxation?? I guess I will find out. Of course there is always those daily things like cleaning, cooking and laundry that will still be done but I love doing those things anyway so it really isn't work at all.

It could be that as busy as I keep with my children and grandchildren I'll need a vacation from retirement...we'll see...

My wish for you today is that you find time to get some of that good R & R

As always you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

'On Ya' - ma



11 comments:

Sonya said...

Glad you are enjoying retirement!

Hollie said...

Oh how I enjoyed reading about the little boy. I agree with the Grandfather, God is everywhere if we just take the time to look & listen.


I'm so glad that your retirement is everything that you had hoped for. I enjoy reading about how happy you are. Have a blessed Sunday!

Kathy said...

Oh I am so glad you're enjoying your retirement. Take all the R&R you need, you've earned it. Sundays are also the day for R&R in our house. We usually get home from church and lunch and just relax reading the Sunday paper, maybe a game that is on the television and almost always a little nap to rest ourselves before dinner. Glad you are able to participate in more of the grandkids activities.

Joann said...

Congratulations on your retirement!! How wonderful!! I can't wait 'til it's my turn!! = )

Angie said...

Oh, I don't know Ma, it sounds as if you're keeping so busy with the family and such you might yearn for a little voluntary work, just a few hours a week. Don't go burning yourself out though!

scrappy quilter said...

There is never too much rest and relaxation in my books. We don't ever retire per se, we do other things and that includes rest and relaxation. I hope you enjoy your summer, the weather co-operates and family surrounds you. Hugs friend

Martha said...

Oh no, don't think there can be too much rest and relaxation! So glad you are enjoying your retirement.

Would still love to have you join us at The Motivation on Sundays. You would be perfect with your inspirational writing.

Have a great week! :-)

That corgi :) said...

I enjoyed that story about the grandfather; indeed God is all around us; we just need to be on the watch for him and his wonders :)

sounds like you are enjoying retirement very much Ma! I think one can never get tired of relaxing and being able to be in charge of their own schedule! how fun too to be able to hear your grand-daughter's recital! I know you have been looking forward to that :)

betty

jack69 said...

Nah Ma! you can never, never get too much R & R.

I like the sound of the blog. Inspirational and thouroughly upbeat. Glad you are enjoying Chapter 5, page 16 of Book ten of your life.
From NC,
Love

grammy said...

Lots of people say they are busier after they retire
but I think it is a good kind of busy
sounds so great to be going to the camper for so long
have fun with the baby and the violin concert (o:

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

I use to play the violin.
I know each of your grandchildren are enjoying the extra time you get to spend with them now you are retired.
It sounds like you have a very full life even without your job.
I am glad for you that you are enjoying your retirement.