It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, May 14, 2010

Chapter 5, Page 14, Book 10

It has been very chilly here so far this month and I long for days that are warm with periods of sunshine….that kind of sunshine that makes you remember when you were a child playing outside with the neighborhood kids

I think about when the sun was streaming through the front windows in that way only the sun can do, with the doors open and the air moving the curtains in the windows.

When warm weather comes there is just nothing like a front porch to sit on. I consider myself a porch person, most likely inspired by the influence of my grandmother's porch. On her porch, I recall sitting with family and friends watching it rain, listening to birds, smelling newly mowed grass and having countless conversations. Those are special memories I’ll always cherish.

The porch was the center of activity during those visits at her house, particularly for the children. The inside of the house wasn't all that small but our family was large. When Aunts, Uncles and cousins visited there were a lot of people. My mother was one of 10 children and I have over 30 cousins. We often visited in the summer and when it was hot out, the porch was an escape from the sweltering indoors, where my grandmother usually had her biscuits in the oven. There were always biscuits served at every meal

Of course there were assorted chairs scattered around on the porch and not only one but two porch swings. Sometimes my siblings and our cousins would pile into the swing and we would try to test its limits to see just how high it could go.

It's no surprise the tradition of gracing an American home with a front porch goes back to the early days of the country's history. It's a room without walls, a simple, peaceful space where we can watch the world go by while lazy breezes caress our hair, where it's so quiet we can hear the bees tumbling in the geraniums.

Most days it's been too chilly to sit on my front porch so far this Spring. Soon warmer days will come and I'll head to the campground and my little place in the woods. The nice thing is that I do have a deck in front of my camper. It's shaded with a nice awning and there is a wonderful view...almost as good if not better than sitting on my front porch.

It's FANTASTIC Friday - have a great day every one!

'On Ya'-ma



5 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I enjoyed reading your porch memories, Ma. you don't see many porches where I live, but I think it is a tradition we should get back into, I think it would make our neighborhoods more friendlier

betty

Angie said...

I salute the American front porch! It's not something we have much over here in England. We tend to have our sitting out areas out the back and, as our back garden faces south, it gets the sun (when there is some) all day.

Lainey Laine said...

Awwwwww Ma, I really enjoyed your porch stories, it reminded me of The Waltons, I used to love watching that programme and I used to wish we had a front porch just like theirs! We have a deck on the back of our house. In England we dont tend to sit at the front of our houses much. We shut ourselves away in our own back gardens. Im so looking forward to using our deck this summer, it was only put up last September so we havent really had chance to enjoy it properly yet. I'd love to see a picture of your porch Ma! Laine xxxx

grammy said...

My daughter just got a porch swing for her BD
She said she has always wanted one
some book she had read...made it special to her
I have one to put up on the back porch
it seems to be dangerous with babies....but I can put it up this summer. I have no daycare all summer..no money either (o:

jack69 said...

Ma, it must be the night for nostalgia. This is the third blog that reminded me of the past. Front porches were so much fun. The swings the greatest. Even the steps to play games on when it wasn't raining.
I loved this entry. You did good!
Love from NC
Sherry & Jack