It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Chapter 4, Page 7, Book 10


Celebrating Wonderful Wednesday

April 7th is No Housework Day

I really haven’t done housework on a Wednesday for a long long time anyway. Since I went back to work almost 30 years ago most of my chores around the house have been done on Saturdays.

I can remember that when I was home when my children were little I usually had a special day that I did things. I liked to do the laundry on Mondays, the ironing on Tuesdays, the house cleaning on Thursdays and the grocery shopping on Fridays. I really don’t remember what I did on Wednesdays. I always baked on Saturdays and then on Sundays it was fun day. After church and our Sunday meal we usually did something together as a family.

Maybe now that I won’t have to go off to work each day I’ll get back into some kind of routine. It’s going to be so different for me that I’m sure it will take awhile to work something like that out.

Vacuuming the carpets, mopping the floors, dusting furniture, cleaning the bathroom and kitchen are all things that really don’t need to be done more than once a week at my house. Sometimes I skip a week as there is only me here and I don’t make for much dirt. The biggest thing I have to do is pick up my clutter. I’m bad a leaving catalogs and magazines here and there and my desk always has piles on it. No they are not piles of bills, but things I intend to read later or that should be filed away.

I’d like to imagine a spic and span spotless house now that I’ll have so much time on my hands, but I do have lots of other things to do, so I know that it’s not going to be a top priority at all.

I hope your Wednesday is a wonderful one!

‘On Ya’-ma

9 comments:

That corgi :) said...

won't be long now, Ma! the end is soooo close in sight!!

I know my mom had a similar routine with doing a chore on different days of the week and it seems to me her ironing day was Tuesday too :)

I bet you will find some structure in your days after you retire where you break up the chores and do a bit every day, but I'm sure you are going to have some fun times first enjoying your freedom :)

betty

Buttercup said...

What a week this must be for you. Prayers and good wishes for great times and new adventures. Thinking of you!

Lainey Laine said...

OOOOH thanks Ma - its now officially no housework day in my house too! I dont have days to do things I just do it when I feel like it which isnt very often! Having two teenage boys in the house though, and a big Golden Retriever, oh and a 44 year old man, there is usually alot of cleaning and tidying up to do! I'm starting to get them to do a bit more now though! ;0) Have a lovely day! Laine xxxx

grammy said...

Housework is never high on my priority list (o:
have a great exciting week
the threshold to retirement (o:

Rose said...

Seems like we had the same schedule to do laundry and ironing..........LOL Funny, I don't remember what I did on Wednesdays either. I did a lot of cooking on Sundays so I can have some dinners to just heat up during the week for the kids.

It was a hectic time working and raising children at the same time.

Now, Everyday is a blurrr....I can do whatever I please no matter whether it is a week day or a weekend.

Ora said...

Hi Ma...no...you will set a new routine...for retirement...some days will just call you and call you to do something special..the dusting can be put off another day...LOL...I know you are so excited about retirement and no one deserves it more than you do...and I pray good health and happiness to you each day...for this next level of living!!!! God Bless..hugs...Ora in KY

scrappy quilter said...

Awe the joy of retirement, to do what you want when you want. I learnt that housework can wait especially when something else is drawing me away from it. I know you're going to learn the same. Only 2 1/2 days left of work. I'm going to be celebrating with you. Hugs

Sybil said...

Countdown anly 2 more days to go...
It will certainly be a different kind of life this new retirement age...I think it is quite important though to get into a routine quite soon as it is easy to slip into a do it tomorrow state of mind..One of the things I and some friends found was that the luxury of having a lie in was wonderful...but not so much when it became a habit we became resenful at having to get up until we once again made ourselves get into a routine.
Much Love Sybil xx

Martha said...

Congrats on your retirement Ma! I look so forward to that day myself. Hey, with all this time you'll have now would you consider joining us as part of the TMS team? We'd love to have you :-)