It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, April 05, 2010

Chapter 4, Page 6, Book 10


Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been

Mark Twain

When I look in the mirror I do see an awful lot of wrinkles. The great thing is that I can also see the smile lines.

I like to people watch and so often I rarely see a smile anywhere. I’ve even been at amusement parks and failed to catch people laughing or even smiling.

The place I see laughter the most is when I’m around young people. My grand children never fail to bring a smile. They are always full of fun and laughter.

It does make me wonder what happens to people as they age, that it takes so much for them to crack a smile.

I read some place that if you have a job answering the phone you should have a mirror in front of you so that you smile before taking a call and that will make your voice more cheerful.

Maybe we should all take a look in the mirror more often and practice smiling. Practice makes perfect they say.

Cheerfulness removes the rust from the mind, lubricates our inward machinery, and
enables us to do our work with fewer creaks and groans. If people were universally
cheerful, there wouldn't be half the quarreling or a tenth part of the wickedness there is.
Cheerfulness, too, promotes health and morality.
Cheerful people live longest here on earth, afterward in our hearts.

Author Unknown

Today is TERRIFIC Tuesday, and I am smiling! I hope you can too!

‘On Ya’-ma

P.S. This is my last and final week of work. Only 3 more days after today…can you guess why I am smiling?

5 comments:

grammy said...

No wonder you are smiling
three more days
are you going to party???
I am (o: for you!

That corgi :) said...

I'm smiling along with you, Ma, on your final week of work!! I have to admit most times there is not a smile on my face, I need to remedy that, thanks for the reminder :)

soon, so very soon, you'll get to spend lots of time with your grands and enjoy much laughter and smiles :)

betty

Sybil said...

I trained as a telephonist Ma when I was only 16 !! many many years ago!! one thing that was insisted upon was that we Always answer the phone with a smile on our faces...hard at times!!...but in those days we had to do what we were told..or else we failed!! and so now it comes as second nature to me to always do so. It is amazing to me how one can actually "feel" a smile over the waves. Now my oldest sister Always has a dull voice on the phone and never sounds hapy at all she calls every morning and can almost make me quite depressed..if I let her !!!
I am counting down the days with you MA this week. Is your new side kick training up ok ?
Love Sybil xx

Lainey Laine said...

I love your entry Ma!! You did make me smile! I am a person that does smile alot because I think that life needs to be smiled at. Alot of people are so down and miserable at the moment. It is sad to see these people so sad. Now I work with children at the lovely little village school I do even more smiling. Children do love to smile and loved being smiled at. I try not to frown too much, although frowns are needed to keep children behaved at school but a quick smile afterwards is a good thing! My partner is worried about his job and I say 'don't worry darling we will find something to smile about'. That always cheers him up for a bit! Love Laine xxxxxx :0)

Rose said...

Smiling right back at you! Enjoy this beautiful day.

I agree, many walking around looking grumpy.......smiling makes every feel happy.

Good entry.