It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Chapter 4, Page 1, Book 10


CELEBRATING APRIL FOOLS DAY!

April Fool’s Day is probably the most enigmatic holiday still celebrated today. No one really knows it’s origins, or the where, when or why the celebration began. The first references to “All Fool’s Day” appeared during the late Middle ages in Europe. What we do know is that this day is devoted to the fine art of foolery

The most popular and widespread theory about the origins of April Fool’s Day involve calendar changes in the late sixteenth century. During 1582, France was the first country to switch from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar established by the Council of Trent during 1563. Consequently, the beginning of the year was moved from the end of March to the first of January. Some people did not wish to give up the old calendar and continued to celebrate the New Year between March 25th, which was known as Lady Day, and April 1st. In retaliation, those who had adopted the new calendar played jokes on the supporters of the old calendar. Paper fish called April Fish were stuck to their backs. This may have well been the beginnings of April Fool’s Day

Arising from the doldrums of winter, April Fools is an international day of practical jokes. A day for shenanigans, laughter and humor

April is all about new beginnings. We’ve only to look around outside and see new life appearing everywhere.

This year April will mean a special new beginning for me as I’ll enter a new part of my life. Our lives are like the seasons and each one signifies the time in which we are living.

Spring for some can mean the season when they were young and just beginning their life as an adult. I’ve been through those seasons time and again but even though I’m now older Spring is once again a time of new beginnings for me.

At some point once I’ve retired, I’ll be helping DS#6 and his wife as a babysitter since DDIL#6 has to go back to work and I’ll get the pleasure of caring for our little Lucky Guy for awhile until school is out as his mom is a teacher. DDIL#6’s mom will also spend some time caring for him too so I won’t be there at their house full time, but I will be there when needed. I’m really excited about that because I’ve always been the long distance grand’ma’ and couldn’t take the time from work to help out.

Our campground opens April 16th too and once my babysitting is done I’ll be spending days on end there at my little place in the woods. Most of that time will be spent relaxing.


So today, I am very thankful for the new beginnings in my life.

Only 6 more days of work after today!

‘On Ya’-ma

7 comments:

Kathy said...

You must be thrilled with anticipation. How fun it will be to get to watch your little Grandson. He will get to bond with you and know you well. I am so happy for you.

Linda :) said...

Happy April Fools!!! :)

That corgi :) said...

how fun to help out with babysitting and how fun the campground opens in a few short weeks! I know you are looking forward to both events with a smile on your face :)

betty

Sybil said...

What an exciting future you have to look forward to Ma...the pleasures of retirement...mind you if you are anythinjg like me people will think you have nothing to do so can drop anything and come and do whatever they think you need to do !!!!LOL
Have a wonderful April. I am sure you will
love always Sybil xx

Angie said...

I was always told that April Fool tricks were not valid after mid-day; I don'tknow if that's true or just something our mum thought up to prevent us kids annoying too many people.

scrappy quilter said...

Woohoo, soon you'll be camping, not having to worry about coming back to work for Monday. You are going to love it. have a wonderful day. Hugs

grammy said...

Maybe we will get showers and NO more snow
I have to many kids here today to think of a prank
maybe later today (o: