It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, March 08, 2010

Chapter 3, Page 8, Book 10


CELEBRATING MERRY MONDAY

Today is International Women's Day. It is a day that is sponsored worldwide by the United Nations. The roots of this celebration goes back to the late 1800's to early 1900s.

I’ve never met a woman that didn’t work, either in the home, or outside the home. Either way there is plenty to do and very often we work in both places.

I’ve done both for a long time now and one thing I should be thankful for is the fact that I have and I could.

Women are the heart of the home, the home makers and nurturers, but women excel in many other careers as well.

My maternal grandmother has forever been my hero and from her I learned much about life. She was the mother of 10. She was a teacher and even a post mistress besides.

Her life was not an easy one as she lived during the great depression. Both she and my grandfather came from wealthy families and during the depression lost almost everything they had. They had land and a farm and managed to raise their large family.

Every time I think about the hardships she had to endure, I remind myself to be thankful for the blessings of modern day conveniences.

When I was a child, I can remember her drawing water from the well, heating it on the stove and then pouring it into the old wringer washer on the back porch. Little things like running water means a lot for sure.

In order to make ends meet she would teach school and at one time ran the local store and post office for awhile.

Life in our modern days cannot be compared to those that the women of those times lead. She was always one of great faith and kept Sunday as a day of rest. Other than the meals there was no work done on Sunday at her house. She was a wise woman and knew that everyone has to take time out.

I had a lot of time out this past weekend. I visited with DS#6 and his family on Saturday. Then I went to church and out eat with DD and her hubby and DS#5 and his wife on Sunday. My whole weekend was more play than work.

So this Monday as I go back to work, I am thankful and happy so I’m celebrating a Merry Monday! I hope yours is a Merry one too.

‘On Ya’-ma

5 comments:

Linda said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Linda :) said...

Happy Birthday!!! Have a great day! :)

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Good Morning MA! Is this training week?? I wish you an easy go of it, and so happy that you were able to have a wonderful weekend with your family. Fun fun fun!!! Good for you!
Love, Sharon

Ally Lifewithally said...

So glad you enjoyed your weekend with your family ~sounds like you had a very good and happy time ~ Ally x

That corgi :) said...

Happy Birthday Ma! Your grandmother sure had a hard life. We take for granted so many of our conveniences when just a short few years ago, it was so much harder to raise a family (and 10 kids, wow!)

I hope you had a very happy day; glad you did some special things this past weekend too! Soon before you know it, your working out of the home days will be over and you'll be able to spend all the time you want working inside your home :)

betty