It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Chapter 3, Page 6, Book 10




Celebrating Super Saturday

Memories are like patch work quilts, each section is sewn together.

I’ve been reading several blogs that are written by quilters and love to see their creations. The things they make bring back such loving memories for me.

Quilts are a folk art and are used for more than warmth. Many families use them to tell stories or help them to remember people

I remember the quilts my grandmother made. They were full of scrapes and pieces of all of our outgrown clothing. She asked everyone in the family to save the material for her.

I loved seeing those quilts being made. I could sit and remember what dress a particular piece of that quilt was made from.

I know there are lots of quilters out there that make beautiful quilts and the materials are now brand new. But my grandmothers quilts were often made from clothing that now a days we would give to Good will. Some of her older quilts had names embroidered into them. My mother knew the people as they had gathered there at my grandmother’s house when my mother was a child.

Just as quilts often have patterns and lots of different colors, a family is made up of lots of different kinds of family members. I think every one of my children is very different from each other, yet we are all bound together like a quilt. Warm and comfortable.

There will be no house blessing at my house today. I’m off to go and see that new grandson of mine again.

Have a SUPER Saturday everyone!

‘On Ya’-ma

7 comments:

Ora said...

Hi Ma..I sure do like your daily doses on a different day...and I can remember when I worked the chore of training someone new...I just had to remember there are some things we cannot train anyone for...they just have to use common sense when the job arises...your boss is going to miss you...ALOT!!! LOL..and I just know that your will have the best retirement...and that camping site is sure looking good...huh??? LOL..God Bless...hugs...Ora PS..my mom was not a quilter..she was a crocher and made aphgan..always amazed me how something so full of holes could be so warm...but they were LOL

Kathy said...

Enjoy your sweet grandbaby. And have a wonderful weekend. Lord knows you've earned it after training all week.

Sybil said...

It is lovely to see the beautiful quilts Ma. In Bath is a very famous museum called the American Museum it is set in beautiful grounds on top of a hill with gorgeous views. I always go at least once if not more often during the summer mnths and I always make a bee line for the room that is full of the most exquisite quilts, I am in awe when looking at them, trying to imagine the people making them sitting in the light of an oil lamp or perhaps even canldelight..How I wish I could share them with you
Have a lovely day with that wee grandchild of yours.
Love Sybilxx

Kath said...

What a wonderful idea of your Grandmothers to use up your old clothing to make quilts.I love the idea and I agree there are some brilliant quilt makers in Blogger.I remember helping my Mother to make the old peggy rugs out of our old coats cut up to small pcs etc, when I was a girl.I too have read quite a lot of those quilting blogs but I do not comment there.I hope you have a wonderful day meeting your beautiful new Grandson Lucky.Safe Journeys.Take Care God Bless Kath

Jan said...

Lovely dose today ,as you say Quilts have such a personality ,they tell some wonderful storys... as you know Ive been known to make the odd quilt myself lol.Give that babe a kiss from me ...love Jan xx

That corgi :) said...

honestly between blessing the house and holding your grandson, I think you are making the best decision to go and see him :) the house work will always be there

must have been a delight to see your grandmother's quilts, they seem like they were definitely made with love :)

betty

grammy said...

ave a great trip and visit with Grandson...how gret that will be.
I have a few old quilts. One is made from flour sacks. I love the faded worn look of it.