It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, March 19, 2010

Chapter 3, Page 19, Book 10



Today is Swallows Day at San Juan Capistrano, California

On March 15, the buzzards returned to Hinckley Township, Ohio, and on March 19, the swallows will return to the mission of San Juan Capistrano in Southern California

The church there took nine years to build and was only used a few years before an earthquake flattened most of it. The birds loved it. The grand church was never rebuilt, but enough of it remained to offer shelter to swallows that were looking for a place to nest.

Cliff Swallows spend their winter months in southern South America. They begin to arrive in California in late February. Although most of us want us to believe that the birds return each year on exactly March 19th. It's the miracle of Capistrano. In most cases the birds are back in the area much sooner than that

The grounds around the old mission are beautiful, but the area just outside the walls has become overdeveloped. Fewer open areas mean fewer flying insects, less food and fewer swallows. It would be so sad if someday they decided to find a better place to live.

These swallows have always fascinated me and I’m sure many others too. To think that they make a 6,000 mile journey every year at about the same time is fascinating!

Nature in all its glory is truly a gift to us. We humans, even when at our best, cannot even begin to create such awesome splendor.

Have a FANTASTIC Friday everyone!

‘On Ya’-ma

3 comments:

scrappy quilter said...

Hope you have a wonderful day. When is your final day at work. I keep thinking it's coming up soon. Hugs

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi MA!!! Hey...isn't this your last week??? I'm so excited for you!! I hope that you found someone fab to take over the helm there!! Spring is here and you've got camping to do!! I'm thinking about you friend, Sharon

That corgi :) said...

I don't know, if I had my pick, I think I would take the swallows over the buzzards returning :)

I remember them offering (they probably still do) tours to San Juan Capistrano to see the swallows returning on 03/19. I often wondered if they would gather birds up and then release them to return on that certain date for the tourists :)

but it is a fun thing to go and see; I remember doing it a few times in my "younger days"

have a great weekend!

betty