It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chapter 2, Page 23, Book 10




CELEBRATING TERRIFIC TUESDAYS!

Remember when growing up it was fun to sit on the sofa and read on a rainy day. I still do that only rarely do I do it on the sofa. I have an old chair at my house that I love. It is a rattan swivel rocker that used to belong to a set of furniture that I had. Over at the old house we had a sun room that was perfect for this kind of furniture. After I moved to where I am now, I inherited the living room set I have now and gave the rattan set away. I kept the rocker though because I love how it feels.

I pull it over to my computer desk and use it there too. It is rather large and sticks out like a sore thumb so I push it in the corner and put the desk chair in place when I have company come. Reading is a part of my life and I do so enjoy it. I’ve been going to the public library lately instead of buying books and I’ve been very happy as every time I’ve gone I’ve found some very good books.

Fern Michaels, Mary Higgens Clark, Debbie Macomber and Danielle Steel are some of my favorite authors. The only trouble I’ve run into is that sometimes I choose too many books to read in the time allotted and I’ve had to take some back unread. That’s not a problem though as they will be there another time that I need something to read.

The nice thing is that with everything on computer these days, I get a print out of what I checked out at the library and when it is due back too. I’ve been keeping these slips so that I can remember what I’ve read. I do hate to get into a book and find out I’ve already read it.

I can usually read 8 to 10 books a month and I’m sure I’ll be reading more when my retirement comes. It seems that when I read the time flies by and if it’s a really good book and I’m home I’ll read it all in one day. I haven’t had the chance to do that lately but the time is coming soon when I can.

I also have friends that pass books along to me and I already have a stack of those ready to take to the camper so that when summer is here and I am there, I won’t have to worry about returning books to the library. I’ve noticed too that the camp store often has gently used books on a shelf where other campers share what they are reading.

Needless to say my reading won’t be till evening today…as it’s Tuesday and off to work I go.

Have a TERRIFIC Tuesday everyone!

‘On Ya’-ma

4 comments:

Kath said...

I used to have a nurseing chair Ma I loved to sit and read in.It was so comfy as yours is.I kept it around for years and years,but alas it had to go when I moved to my recent home 2 yrs ago.as I just didn't have the room for it.I love to read too,but when I start a book I never know when to put it down,so nothing else gets done LOL!!I now choose to read when other things have been completed.Keep up the good work.The library is a boon.Have a Fantastic Tuesday.Our weather is bitter cold once more and snow predited once more for the latter half of the week brrr.Safe Journeys to you and your family wherever they be going..Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Angie said...

Know what Ma? I think when you retire you won't know where all the time goes and you'll be too busy to read even more than now! I used to be able to squeeze in loads of things I don't have time for now.

I know what you mean about getting into a book only to find you've read it already. Annoying isn't it?

Sybil said...

Hi Ma, I too love a good book but read for to little these days. Mary can't read and I feel awkward somtimes sitting here reading when she can't so she watches TV which kind of distracts me !! Today I have been knitting like as if tomorrow will never come..when my friend Pam was over yesterday she needed a jumper for her grandson who is 10 for next week, she could never do it as quick so I ended up offering....so it's been click clack all day got the front and back done to the arm whole and sleeve started !! so think I will have it done for the weekend...fingers crossed. Only just wish my fingers didn't get so stiff snd sore...
Much Love Sybil xx

That corgi :) said...

that chair does sound comfy Ma. Reading is so relaxing; I just discovered Debbie Macomber and just finished "Between Friends" that she wrote; very good read. I used to buy a lot of books but now, like you, I've been going to the library. I find that I can get a variety of books, might not finish them in the time alloted, so I too return them, but if I don't like a particular story and can't get into it, then I have another to pick from. Before when I bought books, I always felt I had to finish them, regardless if I enjoyed the story, since I had spent money on them.

betty