It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 9, Book 10

Just sharing a picture of me with 8 of my grandchildren a few years ago.

First off today I must say thank you for any prayers sent my way as the weather held and the roads were clear and I made it to my very important appointment yesterday and was blessed by the news that yes, I will have enough benefits coming my way to be able to retire this year. The question now will be exactly when, as I’ll have to be telling my employers the news and they’ll have to find a replacement for me to train.

In honor of DS#6 and his wife, my entry today is all about children. A baby shower is being given for them today. Their 1st child, my 13th grandchild, is expected sometime around the beginning of March.

Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.

Ps 127:3-5

One of the happier blessings of growing older, is the arrival of grandchildren. Today I’m going to a baby shower for DS#6 and his wife. He is my baby and now my baby is having a baby. Tis true I must be getting older.

I felt like I had grown a new heart just to hold all the love for my first grandchild and since then I’ve been blessed many times over.

God calls children blessings. We are all blessed in many different ways but it seems to me that one of the most outstanding ways is the blessing of a large family.


Children are a huge responsibility and require a great deal of self-sacrifice on the part of their parents. So in this sense, there is a burden involved too. But the good things about having children are so much greater than the burden of their care and upbringing.

When they are grown, the love and support and assistance of a large number of other family members is invaluable and as my children's families grow, so does the possibility of all that love and support . People in earlier times and in many cultures knew the value of large families and to have one was considered a great blessing. Even in some of the old TV shows from the 1950s and 1960s, the value of family assisting each other was extolled. I’ll never forget the Walton’s.

If you grew up in a family of only 1-3 children (like I did) and nearly everyone you know came from similar families, it is hard to envision a much larger family and how you would cope. But I was blessed with 6 boys and 1 girl and found out very quickly just what a great blessing they were.

You soon find out that it is not nearly as hard as you might imagine. It is amazing how seven pounds of absolute vulnerability can push such wonder to the surface.

But to hold your grandchildren is to touch a bit of eternity. You see more than ever before how the circle of life keeps on going.

We don’t know or understand why some are blessed in this way and others are not, but we all should learn to value all children and welcome each and every one. One is just as precious as another.

Welcoming a new grandchild is one of the great blessings of life. Seeing our own children become parents themselves, gives us such hope for the next generation.

Distance does affect family closeness and especially the grandparent-grandchild relationship. I’ve come to know this very well as none of my grandchildren live close by and I rarely see them except for holidays and family celebrations.

I’ve found though that no matter how far grandparents and grandchildren live from one another there are some things that can help to keep the bond alive and kicking. To be there when your grandchild is born and be there for the important events; graduations, religious passages, recitals, holidays, whatever events your family values highly is very important

The family pictures today are random ones that have been taken over the last few years. They are my blessings for sure.

Have a great Saturday every one! I’m going to for sure!

‘On Ya’-ma

11 comments:

Kath said...

I am so pleased to learn you have enough benefits Ma to be able to retire Whoo-Hoo thats great news today.I hope your boss soon finds a repleacmenent to train up and you can look forward to going to your camper.Yes family are wonderful and theres something more special about becoming a Grandma.I could never begin to explain to anyone how I felt.I love seeing your family pictures every one of your children are a real credit to you and I know how proud you are of them and so you should be and they of you, which I know they are.We do miss out on not living as close as we wish we could to them but they are always in our thoughts and hearts.Mine are anyway.Have a lovely Saturday.Keep warm if going out.Brr it was another - 8 last night here. I am staying put inside.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Rose said...

Your grandchildren are beautiful!
God Bless


Rose

Hollie said...

Congratulations! I know you are excited about retiring! I'm so happy for you:) What a beautiful & inspiring entry! I have a baby shower to go to tomorrow. It's a first baby for one of hubby's cousins. Exciting!

Joan said...

What wonderful photos! How grand to have so many grandchildren! You definitely need to retire to spend more time with them. I decided to retire when I overheard a person on the bus ride to work say "I'm retiring on the 4th of July". I said to myself and then to my boss "I'm retiring on the 4th of July; on freedom day I will have my freedom". This was the beginning of Jan 2001, I retired on July 4, 2001 and have loved every minute of it. Good Luck!

Buttercup said...

So glad that you will be able to retire. Hurray! I've been looking at the numbers, but I'm not there yet. Thanks for sharing the pictures. What a beautiful family. Enjoy the shower and please take photos to share with us.

Sybil said...

Oh Ma, how exciting to be able to retire now with a clear way ahead. Just think when you go to the camper in the summer you won't have to come home every sunday to be ready for work next day....what bliss....Thank you so much for sharing all you wonderful family with us. I am only one of three my two sisters and me the baby ! I had 3 now 2 nieces but only one has children, it is sad for me as she is the one neice who is not "close" and so has not shared her 3 childern with me as I would have loved. Never mind it dosn't stop me loving them !!! I do have many children that I baby sat for many many years ago and they and their children are still in touch and very much loved.
Have a lovely day despite the cold and snowy conditions.
Love Sybil xx

scrappy quilter said...

Congrats Ma. I'm so excited that you can retire this year. What wonderful news. Do you think it will be before camping season. To think you could be camping all summer long, not have to come home to work during the week.

Your pictures and words are wonderful. Hugs

Barbara said...

You certainly have a handful. I get so excited over 2 you must have a ball with so many.

Ora said...

Hi Ma...and so happy to know you were given good news about the benefits...and retirement...something wonderful to look forward too I am sure!!! and you have a beautiful family..I came from a large large family...but well we were never blessed with children...until the Lord gave us a beautiful baby boy...and then again a beautiful baby girl...life is good..smiles all around...hugs...Ora Ps..it is snowing here...temp about 18 now..falling fast....we got about two more inches last night too...no outing today...but that's ok...OK

That corgi :) said...

congrats to DD#6 and his wife on their new baby arriving soon! how exciting Ma to have another little one in the family :)

congrats too that you get to retire!! wonderful news! like Sybil said, that means now you won't have to leave the camper to get back to work and can stay as long as you want during summer fun :)

betty

Linda :) said...

What a wonderful entry.... :)