It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 6, Book 10

>

As the New Year begins here are a few of things I’m doing at my house.

I’m cleaning out the refrigerator. Have you ever prepared a salad, added the dressing, taken a bite and then stopped chewing because you could taste that something was wrong? Then, when you looked at the salad dressing bottle your read that the “best used by” date was from the prior year? We tend to be so busy in our day to day lives, we don't take the time to remove the outdated items.

Living alone too many things go bad before I use them. I’ve even had unopened bottles that have expired before I got the chance to open them. Because I shop at a lot of bargain stores, I’ve found I have to watch the expiration date even closer as many of them are close to expiration when you purchase them.

This is a great time of year to shop for bargains too. I try to purchase wisely buying only what I need or what I think will make a great gift, but at the same time applying the rule that I never pay full price. When I get a lunch hour I take the time to browse around in the stores near where I work. It gives me a little of that much needed exercise too. I sit far too much on my job. Today I’m going to look for gloves. In the last two weeks I lost my good leather ones and one glove of another pair. I’m now wearing the ones I like to save for good. They are not the warmest and I need some good warm ones.


I’m also thinking about Valentine’s Day coming up next month and what I might be able to make for my loved ones. I saw one cute idea on a craft site that had a cut out heart with 2 suckers stuck on it and the words You can count on me if things get sticky written on it. There was also one that had a Peppermint Patty on it saying BE COOL VALENTINE! There are plenty of cute ideas out there if you take the time to look.


Here is MA’S TIP FOR TODAY

If you can't change something - accept it and get on with your life

Don't have negative thoughts or worry over things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment

Don’t spend too much time on things that are not going to change…worrying about something wastes the time we could be enjoying life. The good Lord will take care of it if you let him. I’m learning that more and more and enjoying the life I have more and more too.

It is Wednesday and I’m thinking it is going to be a great day and I’m SMILING. I was able to get out of bed once more and that is something to celebrate for sure!

‘On Ya’-ma

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Have a good day Ma. I so enjoy your posts everyday. You always have uplifting advice and I also seem to learn something too.

Kath said...

You are not alone in your sell by dates Ma.I too living alone tend to have to throw lots away if I am busy and forget to check and it realy annoys me.I hate to waste things.Waste Not Want Not is one of my big motto's in life.I do keep a regular check and try to give Daughter what is nearing the end date before it lapses for her children to finish off.Though there are times when I have had to throw things out Grr.Love the ideas for Valentines gifts .I must admit I do tend to worry like your last paragraph says, so I will try remember what you have written here as from today.I love gloves and scarves and never buy gloves unless I can get a scarf to match.I must have at least fifteen pairs LOL.Also I did have bought some lovely purple leater ones and black and red leather ones for Christmas so they are to add on my list now heeee.I like my gloves and scarves to match my winter outfits.I feel lost without them when I go out in cold weather.Thankyou for sharing the Valentine ideas.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Martha said...

This is such a wonderful post and I am so with you on the evaluation of what we can change and acceptance of that which we can't! I am a thrifty shopper too and appreciate the creative ideas. Thank you also for your comment at TMS, it is a challenge to work out w/crummy weather. Happy New Year, Martha@Sense of Humor is Essential

Sybil said...

It is true Ma that we need to keep our eye on the use by dates... I often find myself using out of date things !! I am still here though! These are good ideas for Valantine gifts...Might well use the hearts one...thank you x
It is very snowy here today we hasd about 6ins. overnight. So needless to say neither Mary or I have been able to get out and masy well be stuck in for a few days to come !!
Love Sybil

scrappy quilter said...

Ma, I have the same motto...never pay full price for anything. It's saved us thousands of dollars over the years. I love your tip for today too. Great advice. Hugs

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

I know I have stuff in my fridge that probley is out of date. Thanks for the reminder.
You stay warm, that picture at the top makes me feel cold just looking at it..

Missie said...

I love reading your tips for the day! Thank You!

grammy said...

I'm back.
Good advice and free to boot (o:
what are some of your favorite craft sites?

Ora said...

Hi Ma...and yes I was on looking for "Valentine" ideas too...and like you found those cute sayings and etc...great minds huh?? and thanks for the words of wisdom that always seem to be just what I need at the time...God Bless...hugs...Ora