It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, January 29, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 29, Book 10


As I sit here listening to my furnace run and wondering just what my gas bill will be for this month I am thinking I have a big case of the Winter Blahs.

I’ve been fighting lack of sunlight since November and now the lack of any warmth what so ever is making it seem worse than ever.

I dream a lot about the BEACH and warm summer days hoping that it might help to alleviate some of my BLAHs . I’d love to afford a trip to the BEACH for real right now, but somehow that is just not in the budget.

So I said to myself before you go stir crazy for spring, think about a few blah-busting tips. What frugal activities can I do. Here is the list I came up with

Plan a special meal once a week. It will give me something to look forward to. It's the perfect time to expand your food repertoire, too. Try new nutritious recipes, and be sure to get plenty of rest to help you feel good.

Finish any unfinished craft projects—I’ve got some cute little signs I started for last Easter, maybe it would be could to finish those up so I can put them in Easter baskets for my family this year.

Be sure to let the sun shine in. Open up curtains and blinds. Add a colorful fruit bowl, scented candles or a decorative accent, such as placemats, to add enough color to cheer you. This is one I’ve done already…I’ve got Valentines stuff all over my house.

Get a jumpstart on gardening by watching gardening show and ordering seeds

Set up a birdfeeder and birdwatch. Grab your camera and take some scenic pictures

It’s not that I haven’t already done a few of these, but it’s that I need to do more of them. Shaking off the blahs right now is challenge.

It is in the low teens here at my house this morning, I’m layered up to keep warm and I’m going to go off to work soon.

I hope it is a FABULOUS FRIDAY for you all!

I’m trying…that’s all I can do.

‘On Ya’-ma

11 comments:

Donna said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one! Cliff and I have discussed it, and we think what has made this winter so difficult is that there's no break from the cold. Normally there is an occasional day in the 40's, 50's, or even 60's... even in January and February! This year there is no break.

LYN said...

JUST THE LITTLE BIT OF WINTER WE HAVE HERE MAKES ME STIR CRAZY SO I CAN ONLY IMAGINE..I HAVE BEEN LOVING THE WARM SUN ON MY FACE HERE THE PAST FEW DAYS...IT'S STILL COLD IN THE MORNINGS THOUGH...

Jan said...

Some great ideas there Pam ,especially adding colour to our grey days ,as for unfinished projests thats a never ending thing hee hee ,but where would we be with out our projects unfinished or not ....something to strive for ...love Jan xxn

Linda :) said...

Between the fog, rain clouds and just gray skies, the sun finally came out for a couple of hours yesterday.... I bought some new seeds last week and filled the bird feeders yesterday and noticed the trees all have buds on them so blossooms will be popping out soon....
Happy Friday!! :)

Sandra said...

Hi! I loved reading your blah-busting tips! Don't we all need to remember that we all have 'those days'!
Right now, I am watching the snow fall in the 'sunny south"; which is so rare! :)

Angie said...

We're in for the long haul over here too. I thought the snow was gone but there's more on the way. A little brightness will just do nicely, thank you!

Kath said...

I did go out for a nice meal today Ma for a change and I realy enjoyed it too.Also the sun shone most of the day today,so it hasn't been such a grey day after all.Theres still a very bitter wind and temps predicted to go back down to minus Brr.Keeping wrapped up warm and doing plenty of the things you mention, will pass the blues away,I am sure.Spring will soon be here.Have a lovely relaxing week/end.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

That corgi :) said...

feel for you Pam; I remember those bone chilling days in Montana where nothing you would do would warm you up; one blog I follow has a countdown to spring counter on it, that was cute to see how many days until then. Nice thing about February is it is a short month and maybe, just maybe, you might get a day or two of spring-like weather to give a boost. good news is January is almost done and the days are getting a bit longer (at least here)

all great tips though to chase the blahs away

betty

Sybil said...

Well Ma now as I wrote this it is already Saturday...hopfully you will still be tucked up in bed nice and warm !!
It is good that you will have a nice day just to do whatever you feel like doing...We had a nother slight fall of snow last night so don't think we will go out till later when hopefully it will melt away !!
Thanks again for the devotionals. I particularily like the 365 one and have it now comming every morning..
Love Sybil xx

Barbara said...

The grey skies and lack of sunlight can have a devestating effect on any suseptible. As Seratonin is depleted in the body as the winter progresses how we long for the sun.
St. John's Wort Herbal tincture works well in helping banish the blues.

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

Dr. Oz had a show about winter blahs. He said ginger and peppermint tea was a good mood lifter.