It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 27, Book 10

>

Mornings at my house sure have changed over the years. I remember when my family and I sat together and chatted as they ate breakfast. I’d read the morning newspaper when sipping my coffee. Things that I thought were unacceptable a few years ago are now commonplace in my house. I get up and turn on my computer. It has everything I need but my cup of coffee to start my day. I pour my good cup of coffee and then I read my morning devotional on line, I check my e-mail then enter my blog post for the day

Technology has shaken up plenty of life’s routines, but for many people it has completely altered the once predictable rituals at the start of the day. The surge of early risers is reflected in online and wireless traffic patterns. Internet companies that used to watch traffic levels rise only when people booted up at work now see it much earlier. I do get up a half hour early just so I have time to go online before leaving for work.


For me it is not a bad thing. I save money by using my computer. I no longer have to subscribe to the devotional magazine I used to get. I don’t need my newspaper subscription either as I read it on line.

My computer provides a little companionship early in the morning as I sip my coffee. I can check the weather, the road conditions and very often receive a SMILE or two from on online friends.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter and I remember when IBM brought out their Selectric typewriters, with the little metal ball that rotated, and the tape that engaged when you hit the backspace key and lifted each mistake off the page. My how times have changed.

Changes aren’t all bad at all. Some of them are wonderful.

It’s WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!

I hope your day is wonderful too!

‘On Ya’ -ma

7 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Dearest MA! Your mornings sound much like mine! I find it comforting after hubby goes off to work, to have a sit and see what's going on with all my pals in cyberspace. It's fun! I love to see what everyone is creating and read the posts of people who inspire me.
It's hump day!! Now all we need in the groundhog...right??
More snow here today.
Hugs~Sharon

Hollie said...

Oh how I love my computer. It has brought me wonderful friends like you! Anything I need to know is right at my fingertips. I love it! Have a wonderful day!

That corgi :) said...

I'm so like you, Ma, check my mail and my friends before I begin my work day. I learned to type on a similar type of typewriter and it absolutely amazed me when the self correcting typewriters came out. And now with word processing and computers, white-out must be a thing of the past

hope it is a nice day for you

betty

scrappy quilter said...

You are so right. I love technology too. I've had to learn to use it wisely though. Having an addictive personality was a struggle for me when we first got a computer. I've learnt how to be careful with it now. Have a wonderful Wed. Hugs

Sybil said...

Hi Ma, we all seem to be starting our day in much the same manner..I get up around 6.50am...Dee tells me it is time we were up ! let him out on my way for a shower, come out and feed him and make my cup of tea...not coffee...open the computer and away I go...Been a good day today had bible study this morning then took the wheelchair to the "wheelchair place" to have it serviced. Saw my first snowdrops today..that was quite exciting as I saw my first lambs on Monday...so it really has been a specially good week.
Love Sybil xx

Kath said...

The computer is companionship Ma,as long as one knows when to come offline he-he.Like yourself I save money using mine.Maybe one day knowing technology,we might be able to buy a coffee maker which plugs into a USB Heeeeeeeee!!!Have a lovely day Take Care God Bless Kath xx

grammy said...

I check in early in the morning too (o:
it certainly does have good and bad things
but that is life
we have to learn to choose (o:
what devotional do you read online?