It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 23, Book 10





Saturday thoughts

Years have gone by since any painting has been done in most of my home. The kitchen and the bath are the only 2 rooms that have any new paint since I’ve lived here. So I’ve been thinking about what I could do and how I’d like to do it. I was doing a little research on line yesterday about new ideas for interior decorating and came upon this interesting article.

Adults reported feeling happier when in the presence of the colors green and yellow. On our deepest levels, these glorious spring colors remind us of sunshine, spring fields and happiness. Don't underestimate the power and importance of your physical environment - your home, your office and your car anywhere you live. Paint it happy!

So I decided to check out the color yellow and this is what I found about it

the color yellow

Yellow is sunshine

Yellow is one of the warm colors. Because of the high visibility of bright yellow, it is often used for hazard signs and some emergency vehicles. Yellow is cheerful.

For years yellow ribbons were worn as a sign of hope as women waited from their men to come marching home from war. Today, they are still used to welcome home loved ones.

Yellow ribbon - hope, support, remembrance

Mellow yellow - laid back, relaxation

And of course I had to check out the color green too!

Green is life. Abundant in nature, green signifies growth, renewal, health, and environment

Green is a restful color with some of the same calming attributes of blue

With both a warming and cooling effect, the color green denotes balance, harmony, and stability. Use several shades of green for a fresh, Springtime feel.


Right now the walls in my front room are plain old beige, tan or something in between.

I’ve had a few ideas and considered a combination of blue and yellow in some fashion, but now I’m thinking the colors should be yellow and green.

The front room faces north so yellow would be good to warm it up. The dinning room has a double window that lets sunlight in during the afternoon and into the evening. So green should be good there. Now I just have to find the right shades.

It is fun planning for some brighter days around my house

‘On Ya’-ma

12 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Hi MA!! Good for you! My colors are yellow, green and a hint of pink!! They are happy colors. I used them in accents, as we didn't want to repaint when we moved....moving was enough work for now. Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see!! Bless you, and don't get rained out friend, Sharon

The Lucy and Dick Show said...

Another way of thinking about what colors to paint your walls is what colors would you wear? If you don't feel happy wearing say blue... then don't put it in your home!

Angie said...

Hi Ma! Yellow is so bright and cheerful. I never tire of it but I hate it in combination with blue or green. Aren't folk funny?

Quite a project you're taking on there, but fun choosing. Enjoy your home.

scrappy quilter said...

We are going to be painting some walls a pale yellow. Not sure if it will be the kitchen or the living room. We haven't quite decided yet. It's wonderful to have a freshly painted room or home. Can't wait to see what you do. Really like the new look on your blog. Hugs

Kathy said...

I love green. I have been a green person for as long as I can remember. The choices for every color are just unbelievable. Have fun chosing your colors. I know it will look so bright and cheerful when you are done.

Sybil said...

How exciting Ma to begin to think about decorating...That is sure something that will keep you busy once you retire...My bedroom is a lovely shade of green and the kitchen is yellow as is the hall (which actualy is part of the kitchen !) this sitting room was supposed to be a silver colour however when the man put it on it was/is a pale blue at first I was aghast and thought I coud'nt live with it but after a few days I began to like it and now would be hard pushed to change the colour..I look forward to reading all about your colours as you decide for sure..
Much Love Sybil xx

Rose said...

Last year I painted my den two different shades of green...the focal wall being a darker shade. I find it very comfortable since I spend a lot of time in that room watching TV at night.

I, too want to paint my linen white walls a different color...time for a change.

Hugs, Rose

Kath said...

Lovely to know you are about to brighten up your home as you say.I love decorating as you well know.Though my walls have to be kept neutral,I bring the colours into it,in my fabrics scattered around each room.Usualy I like to choose the colours to match the season.Lemon is one of my favouties for summertime,the green comes in with the plants around indoors.I hope you find the correct colours and enjoy working them and living with them when finished.Have a good week/end.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

That corgi :) said...

those sound like wonderful colors to use, Ma! such a great project to plan and then execute in the coming months; the end project sounds really nice and enjoyable too!

have a great Sunday!

betty

Hollie said...

Those sound like great colors to paint. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Buttercup said...

Great article. I've been thinking about painting my kitchen -- maybe this spring -- and am thinking of pale yellow. I already have lots of green in the rest of the apartment and I do find it soothing.

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

My computer room, and kitchen are both green. I think the color in my kitchen is saybrook sage.
I love yellow, a sunny happy color, I use to have a yellow bedroom at our old house.