It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 20, Book 10

Today is Wednesday and we go over the hump of the work week into the downhill slide to the weekend. Sometimes it seems the 1st 3 days of my week go faster than the last 2. But you never know when something new or exciting might just happen…so hang in there everyone!

MA’S TIP FOR TODAY

Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.

Each of us differs in what we consider useful, beautiful and joyful. My old house would not appeal to many but to me it is home and I’m comfortable there. It’s a happy place for me.

Take my Bible for instance, it is a book that is not particularly beautiful on the outside - but it’s beautiful on the inside and it makes my life beautiful for all the wisdom and direction in it. It has a place of utmost priority in my house.

Things don’t have to be beautiful on the outside to make your home more beautiful - they just have to add meaning and value to your life. And that’s really the things that make a home.

They say that if it isn’t useful or beautiful then it is considered clutter and you should get rid of it. I’d have to say that the things I have are mostly very useful and mostly not very beautiful. Comfortable and cozy is more of what they look like here at my house.


Try to remember that the things that are of value to you , your family and loved ones, should be things that gives you pleasure and make you feel that you can come home to be refreshed from the wears and tears of the day.

‘On Ya’-ma

10 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Good Morning MA! Just wanted to stop by and which you a quick sled ride on the downhill part of the week! Bless you!

Jeannette said...

I agree, most of my stuff is useful as well and some just because I love it. A home is what you make it.

Kath said...

I say to people I have come to see you not your home.Material things are worth nothing,it's the welcome at the door that counts.I may not like clutter on show,but thats in my own home everyone is entitled to have things how they want it Ma.I have plenty of clutter tucked away which I wouldn't dream of parting with LOL!!Those hidden treasures mean the world to me,every oneof them has a memory. My bible from schooldays, which I was given at the age of 11,so 53yrs old now sits proudly at the side of my bed,alongside a prayer book I recieved as a gift for being a bridsmaid at the same age..Have a lovely downhill slide I hope it's a fast one.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Joyful Days said...

I need to declutter--but I have such a hard time with that. I find a lot of things joyful that most would not.

My house has been called cozy and comfortable. Always makes me happy!!

Blessings,

~Julie

That corgi :) said...

agree with you, Ma; always good to de-clutter and just keep what has memories, is beautiful to you, or useful. and the first of the year is always a good time to do so :)

enjoy Wednesday; this month is speeding by too, isn't it?

betty

scrappy quilter said...

Another wonderful post. Because we hope to downsize in the fall, we are looking at everything in our home in a new way. I have never had a problem decluttering up until now. It gets harder has you have less to declutter, yet I know it has to be done. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs

grammy said...

is it Wednesday already?
it does go so fast
i am in the process of weeding the house
there are just some things that need to go

Sybil said...

Most valued by me is certainly my family..and the warmth of my wee home, stuff, useful or not I just love it all.
Hope next two days go by fast and weekend will soon be here
Love Sybil x

Angie said...

There's just Keith, Sally Dog and me in this house and though we have things that could never be replaced and other things that say *this is me*, the only things I would run back to save would be those two. Sally may thin different!

Buttercup said...

Thanks for your good thoughts, as always. I have some things that are worn, but to me it just means they are well used. My bible's edges are a little frayed and there are lots of notes -- hurray!