It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 2, Book 10

On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...


Nine Ladies Dancing
The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peac
e, 4) patience, 5) kindness, 6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control. (Galatians 5:22)

Nine ladies dancing was a beautiful sight,
I applauded so loud, it gave them a frigh
t!
They ran away quickly, leaving a shoe or two,

So I filled them up with potpourri for you.
To hang in the closet, or in a drawer hide,
They'll always smell pretty, that won't
be denied

Lavender bags are always popular as drawer fragrancers.

Cut the stems of lavender just before the flowers start to open and hang them upside down for a few days for them to dry before rubbing them down to remove the flowers. Once made, the bags should remain effective for 1–2 years.

Fragranced potpourri, whether homemade or shop bought, can also be made into gift sachets. One way of doing this, avoiding any sewing, is to tie it up in cotton handkerchiefs.

Wash and iron the handkerchiefs. Pour about 1/2 cup of potpourri into the centre of the handkerchief. Gather up the ends and either wrap a rubber band around the part near the ball of sachet or tie it up with strong cotton. The sachet should be tightly enclosed. Tie a matching ribbon around the band, making a bow with long ends. If you make the ribbon long enough, then it could be used to hang the sachet in a cupboard or wardrobe.

As an alternative to a handkerchief, you could use a square of muslin or any thin material, though you may need to hem the edges or trim them with ribbon or lace.

I have put mine into containers like the little shoe above or a pretty little bowl.

You could include a small bottle of essential oil with the sachet, for refreshing the potpourri once the fragrance begins to fade.

DDIL#6 made this cute little lighted bowl of potpourri one year for Christmas gifts and I keep it on the dresser in my room.

I hope your day is filled with sweet fragrances !

‘On Ya’-ma

8 comments:

scrappy quilter said...

I hope yours is too Ma. Have a wonderful weekend.

That corgi :) said...

how cute with the potpori and instructions on how to make them, Ma. I do love the smell of one in my clothes drawers :)

love the Fruit of the Spirit too; to live like that and practice that would make us all better people for sure :)

betty

Angie said...

Now why don't these sort of ideas occur to me? All so simple in concept but I would never have thought of using a hankie for anything but blowing my nose on!

Beautiful, Ma.

Joan said...

Was not sure when to cut the flowers so thanks for the tips. Love Joan

Buttercup said...

You too Ma. My fragrance is a little different. I'm having a cup of decaf Irish Creme coffee. Yummy and the aroma is great.

Linda :) said...

So Pretty.... :)

Sybil said...

Good ideas Ma...I hadn't thought of using the hankies as sachet's...Funny how we can see somthing being done but never think of doing it oneself...at least I don't...I do love the pot pouri,, my Great Nephew Alex 17, who does all his own shopping with no hints ! bought me lovely pot pourie for Christmas this year.
Much Love Sybil xx

Ora said...

I enjoy Po Pouri also and that is a good idea with the hankies..I have some of my mother's hankies and it would be nice for gifts to the DL and gdau etc...better than being left in a drawer or box somewhere!!!!! and I am thinking ahead for "May Day" gifts..hmmm...the wheels are turning LOLOL...and thanks for the "words of wisdom" for the heart...hugs to ya...Ora in KY