It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chapter 1, Page 14, Book 10

Good news for today! I can add graphics even though my pictures won’t work. Until I figure this out I have a huge supply of graphics that I can use.

I almost hated to put a picture of snow on my journal today but they were so pretty that I went ahead and did just that.

We are having a January thaw here. Yesterday we managed to get above freezing for the first time in over a month and the sun was out. It sure did perk me up to see that blue sky and sunshine.

For the next few days we’ll be warmer so I expect a lot of our snow will melt. There is plenty out there to go so it’ll take awhile.

Ma’s Tip for Today

Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants

We often grab a snack when we are too busy to cook or in between meals when we are hungry and meal time is far away. Here are some healthy snacking ideas to tide you over.

Spread 1 tablespoon of cashew butter on a slice of Ryvita Fruit Crunch. (Or substitute peanut butter and Triscuits.) Drizzle with ½ tablespoon honey and top with sliced strawberries.

Roll a thin slice of prosciutto or ham around a part-skim mozzarella string cheese. Eat with a few olives and grapes

Combine about ¼ cup dried pineapple pieces with about 25 pistachio nuts

Slice an apple, such as Fuji or Granny Smith, and top with ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese. Or replace the fresh apple with two drained cinnamon-spiced apple rings.

There are a lot of ways we can eat a little wiser, if we think about it.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

‘On Ya’- ma

8 comments:

Gayla said...

I'm going to have to try the honey on strawberries. It sounds so yummy!! I love honey and strawberries---one of my favorites :)
Sorry your having troubles with your pictures. I would LOVE to help you, if you'd like? You can send me an email anytime ok?

Enjoy the day....
Gayla

Hollie said...

The snow pictures are pretty. Thanks for the tips on eating healthier. I know I need to do that. It's 20 degrees here this morning. I sure hope we do hit the mid-fifties. Have a good day!

Kathy said...

You are right, we seem to grab whatever is quick and easy and most of the time it's something processed. I have to remember to grab only healthy snacks. Hope you resolve your computer issues soon. Good news about the sunshine and warmer temps.

Kath said...

Getting a post from you Ma with no pictures but graphics is much better than not one at all.I had plenty problems last night too.Oh my computer was a pain with alsorts going wrong.He-He.At least I still try to keep smiling.I have solved a few but not all of them as yet.I am not a snacker but I do tend to eat more weight gaining food in winter months than summer.I might try a few of those healthy eating tips of yours when the weather breaks for good.It is still ery cold here but we have had a little thaw.I hope you solve the picture problem. Take Care God Bless Kath

BlueRidge Boomer said...

My guys like fresh apples with peanut butter....

Enjoy....LindaMay

Sybil said...

Thank goodness you are still with us Ma I would have missed you so..Another cold day here stuck indoors...but hopefully by weekend we will be able to get out..even the postman didn't come with any cards for me sob sob sob ....
Love Sybil xx

grammy said...

Great eating tips
I love a few almonds (trouble is sticking to A FEW)
baby carrots
even open a can of green beans when I am desperate (o:

scrappy quilter said...

I loved your tip for today. We've also warmed up here to where the snow is melting (unheard of in Jan.). I'm enjoying it. Hugs