It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Chapter 12, Page 6, Book 09

Ma’s Christmas tip for today:

Remember that Christmas carols never sound better than when you sing them in church

The 2nd Sunday of Advent has arrived. That means there is only 2 more Sundays until Christmas comes!


Today is also St. Nicholas Day

St. Nicks Day is a simple celebration which adds a bit of welcome festivity in the early days of Advent It provides an opportunity to tell the story of St. Nicholas, a man of faith whose goodness and generosity grew out of his love for God. It enriches our understanding of Santa Claus by showing the real historical person who inspired the familiar legend and traditions

At my house before everyone would retire on December 5th, they would place a shoe beside the fireplace. When they got up on December 6th their shoe would hold a treat from St. Nick. But the real purpose of this feast is to remember and celebrate St. Nicholas's example of compassion.

One ancient legend goes, Saint Nicholas was known to throw small bags of gold coins into the open windows of poor homes. After one bag of gold fell into the stocking of a child, news got around. Children soon began hanging their stocking by their chimneys in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

I’m enjoying sharing all the different celebrations, tips and traditions of Christmas with you all. From the beginning of Advent til the Ephiphany on Jan 6th there are so many things to do and to celebrate. I hope you enjoy my reflections and pictures too of what is new at my house.

I got my first Christmas card yesterday! It was from a dear Journaling friend and quite a surprise! She’s so far away and yet hers was the first I received this year.

Thank you dear friend!

I’m off to church as usual this morning. You all are in my thoughts and prayers as always.

‘On Ya’-ma

5 comments:

Cindi said...

We got our 1st Christmas card yesterday too!..I still have 1/2 to mail out...will be happier when I get them out tomorrow

scrappy quilter said...

What a pretty Christmas card. I got my first card last week. I'm really enjoying your Dec. posts, always so interesting. Hugs..

That corgi :) said...

I forgot today was the feast of St. Nicholas; growing up we put out a stocking that would get filled with nuts and candy; great memories!!

thanks for sharing all this, Ma; it is helping me get into the spirit of Christmas :)

betty

Jenny said...

No it's not swine flu i have no temperature, but thanks for asking. Around here we have all sorts of funny virus' going around but the swine flu is receding week by week.

Jenny <><

Buttercup said...

I'm enjoying all of your posts and especially liked reading about St. Nicholas. I've gotten two cards and really need to get going on mine. It's so much fun to hear from friends at this time of year.