It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chapter 12, Page 26, Book 09

>

Happy day after Christmas Everyone!

Did you know that since December 25th has arrived we now have the 12 days of Christmas to celebrate? I hope you are excited about it and not too worn out to keep on celebrating for awhile yet.

I’ll be sharing some of the traditions of these 12 days with you from now until Epiphany which is January 6th.

This year, I am really trying to celebrate the days that follow. We can let many very ordinary parts of our days become rich with tradition and perhaps a little fun too.

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...


Two Turtle Doves

The Old and New Testaments, which together bear witness to God's self-revelation in history and the creation of a people to tell the Story of God to the world.

Did you know two turtle doves are
Extremely hard to find?
So here are Turtles ‘n Dove—
The chocolate candy kind

Some people make their turtles with 3 pecans: 1 for the head, and 2 for the front legs. I prefer to use 4 (for all 4 legs-I guess my turtles don't have heads) but you can modify to suit your tastes

To make these chocolate delights you will need:

18 soft caramels

72 pecan halves (about 1.5 cups)

5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with aluminum foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.

Arrange the pecans in clusters of 4 with each pecan pointing in a different direction (like turtle legs)

Place a caramel on top of the center of each cluster. Put cookie sheet in a 300 degree oven for 3-4 minutes, until the caramels have softened and mostly melted over the pecans. The tips of the nuts should still be showing

Remove from oven and allow to cool fully

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler. Spoon the melted chocolate over the cooled caramel, being careful not to cover nut tips.

Allow to fully set. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week

I am relieved that the hectic part of Christmas is over but am looking forward to the 12 Days of Christmas too…they are a blessing for sure.

You can check in tomorrow to see what the 3rd day of Christmas might bring.

‘On Ya’-ma

6 comments:

Hollie said...

Happy 2nd of Christmas!

ADB said...

Hope you're having a great Christmas this year

Guido

scrappy quilter said...

Going to enjoy reading those. I love Turtles. However even at the cost of them, I seldom can make out whether they have a head or not, lol. They are my favorite chocolates though. I'm not a chocolate fan that much so I have them only at Christmas. Maybe that's why I like them so much. Hugs and have a wonderful day.

Sybil said...

Never thought of making turtles ! might give them a go, though not today !! Been to my eldest sister Margaret's and Mary and I already "eaten out !!" just sitting here groaning having eaten far to much these last two days !! but it has been sooooo loverly...
Love Sybil xxxx

Buttercup said...

I love turtles, but like Sybil,have never thought to make them. I think I need to give up chocolate for a few days if I want to wear my clothes. Have a wonderful weekend!

That corgi :) said...

thanks for sharing the recipe for those turtles Ma; they do look delicous!! it is neat you are taking the time to celebrate the 12 days after Christmas this year too; will definitely prolong the festivities and the season

betty