It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chapter 12, Page 17, Book 09


MA’S CHRISTMAS TIP FOR TODAY

Compliment at least three people each remaining day of December

Although I do have quite a Christmas Bell collection, most of it is packed away and right now the only bells I have around my house are the ones hanging on my doorknobs .

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

…With peace on earth, good-will to men

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

CHRISTMAS BELLS

Bells have been associated with the Christmas experience for many years. They have been celebrated in a number of famous songs such as Jingle Bells and poems such as Longfellow’s I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. Supposedly, the tradition evolved from an ancient practice of using bells to frighten away evil spirits during the dark days of winter.

Over time, the sound of a bell ringing became an expression of happiness. Church bells ring out joyful melodies on days of celebration. The festive association was strengthened with the arrival of Santa and reindeer. Scandinavians would also fit reindeer with bells in order to find them in the dark, in thick winter fogs, and in blizzards

Christmas bells portray the true essence and spirit of the festival and are used to decorate the Christmas trees and the front doors of our houses. The bells announce the arrival of the baby Christ and the advent of the season. The holy tunes of the bell blend well with the mood of the season and embellish the sounds of the season

Bells are typically rung to announce a major life event or occasion. They are rung on both joyous and sad occasions including both weddings and funerals. Bells are rung at Christmas to announce and celebrate the birth of Jesus

The front door of most homes is usually adorned with Christmas bells to make a pleasant noise as guests enter our homes during the Christmas season

I’ll be jingling on the way today…

‘On Ya’-ma

7 comments:

The Lucy and Dick Show said...

I too hang bells on doorknobs and I love the sweet sound!

Hollie said...

I have bells on my dorrs. I love to hear them jingle. Jingling right along with you.

Kath said...

Bells are one of my favourite Christmas ornaments Ma.For some reason I have always loved bells.I had them ringing out on my wedding day 41yrs ago and I can still hear them now.They sound beautiful and especially at Christmastime.I don't have one on my door but I shall put one there now after reading your posting.Thankyou for sharing this today.Have a lovely one.I hope it isn't too cold there for you.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

scrappy quilter said...

This would be a great post for C to read. She loves bells. Hugs and have a wonderful day.

That corgi :) said...

you did a very nice job on this entry, Ma; I enjoyed reading about the bells and your tip for the day (now I only need to compliment 2 more people today, LOL); seriously that is great advice to remember to compliment people and I'm going to tuck it away to carry through to Christmas and beyond

Its fun to have bells on doors, isn't it? good way to know when the kids are arriving home at night too and if they made it before curfew time :)

betty

Barbara said...

Have never thought of hanging bells on door knobs where they willring every time one uses the door.

Joan said...

What a lovely entry Ma I do not have any bells on my doors but will have later today. I have a few that I used to put on our Christmas tree but they are too heavy for the one we have now. I have one special bell bought in bought in Lousane in Switzerland when I wal a child that I hold very dear. You had me remembering the end of my favourit movie 'When you hear a Christmas Bell another Angel has his wings' it always makes me cry. thank you for sharing. Love Joan