It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chapter 12, Page 12, Book 09


Ma’s Christmas Tip for Today:

Keep plenty of apple cider and microwave popcorn on hand for unexpected guests

CHILL CHASING CIDER

You will need:

3/4 cup apple juice or apple cider

1/4 cup orange juice

1 cinnamon stick

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and stir. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until juice is warm. Pour into a mug and serve.

To microwave, combine juices in a microwave safe mug and stir. Place cinnamon stick in mug and microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until warm. Stir before serving.

Serves 1

Nice cold apple cider is a thirst quencher, but when it’s cold outside I think nothing tastes better than hot apple cider. It warms me through and through. These cold days just before Christmas take a lot out of me. I am tired of being cold already and we’ve along way to go before it’ll be warm out again so I need all the help I can get.

One of America’s favorite snacks is popcorn and I always have some handy at my house any time of year. I have the microwavable kind and the real kernels too. There is nothing that smells as good as freshly popped popcorn . Once it starts popping the aroma fills the air, and all you want to do is eat it all.

At Christmas time when my children were little we’d string popcorn to decorate the little tree outside the back door for the birds to eat. Of course while we were working on that a lot was always eaten too.

I’m busy working on finishing up everything here at my house for Christmas this weekend and it really does have to be all done by the time Monday rolls around. Our family Christmas celebration is one week from today!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

‘On Ya’-ma

11 comments:

Donna said...

I've had a hankering lately for some caramel corn.

Sugar said...

things always look so warm, inviting, with love & joy at your home. a delight to visit your blog.
have a lovely wkend.
huggies...

The Lucy and Dick Show said...

I tried making a string one year from popcorn and it took weeks for the vacuum to pick up all the bits!

Hollie said...

What a wonderful idea decorating a tree outside for the birds with popcorn!

scrappy quilter said...

I love warm apple cider too. And popcorn..yummie. Have a great day. Hugs

Kath said...

I love popcorn too Ma,I will have to try the Warm Apple Cider .I have never had it,but like you I am fed up also of being cold Brrrrrrr.Have a lovely weekend.Thankyou for your kind words in my blog.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Sybil said...

That warm cider sounds just up my street,,,we will need it ere next week when they say we are having an artic blast !!
Today Mary and I have been threading peanuts on to strings for my sister put up on her outdoor Xmas Tree it is something we do every year and love to watch the wee birds tring to get at them ! hadn't thought about pop corn...I did buy some we call butterkist over here today it is what I think you might call caramel/syrup corn it is delicious and I can hardly resist it !!
Much Love Sybil xx

Jeannette said...

Looks delicious!! We never have unexpected visitors so no problem for us. Wish we did sometimes but although very friendly with the neighbours, we do not go into each others houses. All my elderly cousins live so far away. We are a very small family now.

That corgi :) said...

I like that cider recipe; so easy especially since it makes just one cupful instead of a gallon

I bet it was fun to string (eat) the popcorn as a family time together and a wonderful treat for the birds!

how exciting that you will get together with family next weekend for your Christmas celebration! does that mean you will get a chance to see and hold the new baby?

betty

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

Thank you for this..I love hot apple cider.
And you have yourself a Merry Christmas.
love, Cassie

Buttercup said...

Your ideas are great. I've been so focused on cocoa that I've forgotten cider. It's time for hot cider and a cinnamon stick. Hope you're having a good -- and not too hectic -- weekend. Had a good visit to the eye doctor and I'm enjoying catching up on visits to blog friends and wrapping gifts.