It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Chapter 12, Page 1, Book 09



Ma’s Christmas tip for today:

Fill your house with the holiday fragrance of cloves, orange peel, and cinnamon sticks simmering on the kitchen stove

3 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
1/4 c. whole cloves

1/2 lemon, halved
1/2 orange, halved
1 qt. water

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer as long as desired (may use crock pot). Check often and add additional water if needed. Mixture may be stored in refrigerator several days and reused. Makes your house smell great

I love the sounds and smells of Christmas. Everywhere you go it seems there is something to remind of Christmas.

I guess one of my favorite memories of my childhood would be going to my grandparents at Christmas time.

Their old farmhouse had no central heating and I can remember my mom warming our pajamas by the fire before she put them on us at bed time. We didn’t mind that though. It was always a happy time.

When I was unpacking some of my decorations this past weekend I discovered this Noodle Board that I had painted for my Mom many Christmas’s ago. The back of it is not painted and is meant to be used for rolling out dough when making noodles. I had given it to her as she made a lot of noodles. They were one of my Dad’s favorite things.

I hope your day is filled with wonderful memories and some sounds and smells of Christmas coming too!

‘On Ya’-ma

6 comments:

Sugar said...

i, too, remember getting my pjs warmed by the fireplace, then rushing into them & jumping in bed to cover up with what seemed like a doz quilts & a big old feather comforter. there was a feather mattress too! once in there, stayed warm till had to get up & drag the 'jar' from under the bed & pee. lol then jump back in & sleep till mama would call for breakfast. as daddy & i ate, mama would go & clean the 'jars'. a mamas work was never done!
have a good day.
huggies...

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

MA, how lovely that you have this wonderful memento of your moms! It's even better that you made it for her! What a artist you are!! It's so well done...I'm afraid I would have a hard time actually using it, as it is so beautiful!! Blessings for a warm and cozy day!
Sharon

Cindi said...

nice memories...thx for sharing them!

That corgi :) said...

I bet you enjoy having that noodle board to remember your mom by; looks really pretty how you painted it! did you paint the cup and saucer on your blog header? that is festive too!

how cute warming the pajamas! I bet that farmhouse was indeed cold, but of course cozy with love :)

betty

Buttercup said...

Had fun getting my snowmen out in the office yesterday and today. It was like finding old friends. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Sybil said...

It is so lovely to have our memories Ma. I think that is perhaps one of the sad thing about today that an awful lot of children do not have much routine in their wee lives and so will not grow up with our golden memories...but them maybethey will have in their own way. I do hope so. You really are a lovely artistic lady...wish you lived nearby...You are also so clever at getting things printed up on your blog...I am hopeless...so many things I woudl lik eto do but afraid I am at a loss as to how?
Love Sybil xx