It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, November 09, 2009

Chapter 11, Page 9, Book 09




I call this my Florida Sue Rose as it was given to me by a friend named Sue that lives in Florida and I think of her every time I look at the roses too.

Sunday was such a mild and beautiful day that I thought I’d show you a few of the blooms we still have in our flower garden. What a blessing they are too!



In the back you’ll see the Autumn Glory Sedum at its darkest shade of the year. In the spring it’s all green. The plants below sedum are not blooming but are the very fragrant lemon balm. You can see some of the bloom stalks that have long since faded.



This is tansy. A very colorful herb in our garden.
We have quite a few herbs that come up year after year but few of them are blooming this time of year. We really don’t do much with them except enjoy their fragrance and their beauty.





Our ever present snap dragons are still blooming too. They are first to show up in the spring and one of the last in the fall.



I even found this little bloom on my bleeding heart plant.


It was almost hidden in the leaves.



This beauty is called calendula. We actually have quite a few of them still in bloom




Here is my cute little bunny family half buried in the leaves of the Rose of Sharon bushes that make a hedge along the fence in my back yard. No blooms on them their leave are about all gone.


These tiny little daisy like flowers were still in flower too. We don’t know their name at all but enjoy them every year.

As you can see there is still quite a bit thriving around our house. It was very surprising as we have had a couple heavy frosts already.


The last sweet pea of the season


We mulch the biggest part of the leaves with our lawn mower but leave many on the flower beds to help protect them through the winter. I does seem to work as we have them come up again year after year. Most are perennials but a few of them reseed themselves too.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures today. I think flowers in our lives make such a difference and remind us too of how precious each day is.

Have a great Monday everyone!

‘On Ya’-ma


10 comments:

Jeannette said...

I loved seeing your flowers. Mother nature is amazing and even in the winter, there is always something to see.

Sugar said...

enjoyed the tour of your space. i love flowers of all kinds, once upon a time had a huge flower garden, sml veggie garden, & a yard full of beautiful plants & flowering shrubs. i miss tending them & simply smelling the beautiful aroma. i hope someone is still enjoying some of them. { } have a blessed week.
huggies...

Ora said...

Isn't it amazing how we have blooms this late in the year..thanks for sharing your garden with us...it brightens a day that looks alot like rain LOL..God Bless...hugs..Ora

Hollie said...

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful flowers. It is amazing that you still have them.

Cindi said...

Nice pics...thx for sharing...my fav is the bleeding heart...use to have one...I need to start a garden here...wonder if it will grow...hum
xoxoxo

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Great that you still ahve flowers....beautiful!! Do you have pansies....i love to see them bloom in the snow.........

Enjoy....LindaMay

That corgi :) said...

it is neat to see all the blooms still in November, Ma! it is good to go out and enjoy them and take pictures of them like you did yesterday! something to look back on as the dreariness of winter descends upon your part of the country

looks like you have a lovely backyard with a lot of variety in plants; interesting about keeping the leaves on the flower beds. I hadn't heard about doing that before but it makes sense to protect them with that leave coating when the freezing starts

betty

scrappy quilter said...

I loved seeing your flowers too. Although our weather is beautiful for this time of the year, we don't have anything blooming. How I loved your rose!!

scrappy quilter said...

I loved seeing your flowers too. Although our weather is beautiful for this time of the year, we don't have anything blooming. How I loved your rose!!

Sybil said...

What a lovely wee walk that was this morning...It is amazing how many blooms there are still about if only we have eyes to go and seek them out...to often we only see the dead leaves etc..I love the sedum as it is good to look at all the year round.
Thanks again for sharing Ma,
Love Sybil xx