It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Chapter 11, Page 4, Book 09



Some of my family when we got together for our reunion in 08

I love Trivia and one of my favorite things to do is read several different trivia sights on line. One of them said that TODAY IS HOUSEWIFE DAY.

Housewife Day recognizes the importance of stay at home wives and moms. Also referred to as 'Retro' Housewife Day. These wonderful, caring creatures, build and enrich strong family environments. They help to instill family values and good character

Family celebrations are wonderful things

I was blessed to be just that, a stay at home mom, for about 12 wonderful years when my family came along. I loved it all. Of course there were days that when my husband came in the door at night, I would walk out the door and say – I’ll see you in 15 minutes. Spending days with 7 young ones that were under the age of 10 sometimes made me want just 15 minutes of peace and quiet so I’d go for a walk around the block and come back refreshed and ready to carry on.

The entire bunch of us at our reunion

I know that there are not many housewives’ now a days. There are still wives that care for their families and their homes but they also have a job to go out to. Careers are split down the middle in a lot of cases.

I went back to work when the youngest was four and the oldest 13 so I do know what it is like to do both. Of course I preferred the stay at home job but sometimes we just don’t always have a choice.

I do count those 12 years as blessings.


‘On Ya’-ma

6 comments:

Hollie said...

I know it was tough at times with 7 children, but man what an awesome job you did raising them. I'm sure there was never a dull moment.

That corgi :) said...

I think you were wise, Ma, to take those 15 minutes after your husband got home from work to regroup for the evening and to come back refreshed. I also agree with what Hollie said; you/hubby did a great job raising your family :)

I stayed home without working for about 6 years and then would work at home doing transcription. there are definitely advantages to being able to stay at home (especially when kids are sick) but I know in this day and age it is hard to get by on one income, even for just the basics, forget the extras. I also knew of a mother who worked when her kids were younger and was trying to save that money so that when her kids got older (junior high and above) she could be home. She said the quality of childcare/preschool was great at their age but she knew once they got to be older, they'd be on their own after school and that she didn't want for them to have that free time between school being out and parents coming home for dinner without a parent being around. I think everyone finds the right balance that they can depending on their circumstances too

love the pictures of your family :)

betty

Kath said...

It is very hard bringing up a family.I was a stay at home Mum to my four Ma.I only worked evenings for that little extra when Parner came home from work to take over.What a wonderful job you did.Your family are a credit to you.Love all the pics.May I say on browsing your latter postings what talent you have and how creative too.Loved all your paintings.Well Done (Clap Clap).Good to read you again.Such a great blog I always enjoy reading your wonderful words.Good Health be yours and your Family too and to the one in the forces be safe.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Jenny said...

I think it's so important if you can do it, to be at home for the kids. I worked in the school kitchen many years ago so i kept school hours. After January i will be at home again as i have been made redundant from my bookshop job. No children to worry about now though, but excited for what God is going to provide for this stage of life.
Jenny <><

Alice said...

It would have taken me more than 15 mins to recoup:)

scrappy quilter said...

I loved being a stay-at-home mom. I often would take off for 1/2 hour too when hubby came home. He was wonderful in giving me that time to myself. What a blessing. Hope you have a wonderful day.