It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chapter 11, Page 26, Book 09

A very Happy Thanksgiving Day to one and all.

It’s a quiet day around my house so I thought I share a story that I read. It seemed perfect for Thanksgiving to me. And as I have two sisters this little tale seems to have special meaning for me too.

I don’t have any pictures of a vegetable garden to share to go along with the story so my pictures today are of flower gardens. We attend an annual Home and Flower show most every year in February and the pictures were taken there.

The Legend of the Three Sisters

The three sisters are Corn, Beans, and Squash. They are seen as the three beautiful sisters because they grow in the same mound in the garden. The Corn provides a ladder for the Bean Vine. They together give shade to the Squash.

This Native American story of the Three Sisters varies from tribe to tribe The following is one version that I found.

A long time ago there were three sisters who lived together in a field.

These sisters were quite different from one another in their size and way of dressing. The little sister was so young that she could only crawl at first, and she was dressed in green.

The second sister wore a bright yellow dress, and she had a way of running off by herself when the sun shone and the soft wind blew in her face.

The third was the eldest sister, standing always very straight and tall above the other sisters and trying to protect them. She wore a pale green shawl, and she had long, yellow hair that tossed about her head in the breeze.

There was one way the sisters were all alike, though. They loved each other dearly, and they always stayed together. This made them very strong

By retelling the stories and performing annual rituals, Native Americans passed down the knowledge of growing, using and preserving the Three Sisters through generations.

I’d never heard this story before and I think it a wonderful way to remember that we all really do help each other. One alone is made much stronger by another sharing.

Thank you all my friends and family for sharing with me this year and making me all the more stronger by sharing your love with me.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

‘On Ya’-ma

8 comments:

Ally Lifewithally said...

Happy Thanksgiving Day to you Dad and Mary ~ loved the story of the three sisters ~ Ally x

Hollie said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing with us! I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Sugar said...

ty for the story. :)
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! ;) have a great day.

peggy said...

I love this story and I have never heard it before. I am copying it and putting it in my garden journal and next year I will plant a little square with the sister plants. Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone.

Buttercup said...

Loving thoughts across the miles!

ADB said...

Happy Thanksgiving

Sybil said...

Ma, that was so lovely. I also have two sisters both older and I am going to share the story with them I know they will enjoy it equally...
I also thank you for being my very kind friend throughout this past turbulant year...
Love sybil xx

That corgi :) said...

a lovely story about family and being there for each other! thanks for sharing it with us, Ma! loved the pictures too! that must be a fun flower show to go to in mid-winter; makes you think of spring for sure!

Happy Thanksgiving!

betty