It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Chapter 11, Page 25, Book 09


GOOD FOOD IS A BLESSING!

GOOD MOOD FOOD

This is the moodiest time of year for me. The depleted feeling I have is caused from lack of sunlight (SAD) I’ve mentioned my efforts to keep a SMILE on my face through these drab days before and I’m always looking for ways to help improve my outlook. I found this article that has some suggestions on conquering our moods and thought I’d share it with you today.

Studies show that drinking black tea may lower the body's levels of a stress hormone, called cortisol, after a stressful event, helping you to relax more quickly.

Sources: Drinking black tea throughout the day or at night may help you keep your stress reflex under control.

If anxiety is keeping you up at night, a small, carbohydrate-based snack may be just what you need to relax and ease into sleep. Serotonin has been shown to have a calming effect, and production can be boosted by eating carbohydrates.

Sources: A small bowl of fiber-rich cereal with skim milk before bed can help give you a good night's sleep.

Hostility, anger, and grumpiness are the essential ingredients of a bad mood. Several studies have linked low levels of selenium with tendencies towards anxiety and irritability, so load up on this nutrient to shake your foul mood.

Sources: Sunflower seeds and Brazil nuts. Combine sunflower seeds and Brazil nuts with raisins and almonds for a mid-afternoon snack.

I love nuts and raisens and often have them for snacks while I’m working…I don’t think I’ve had many Brazil nuts though. I guess I need to put them on my shopping list for sure.

I really do have a ***BIG SMILE*** on my face today and I haven’t even had my breakfast yet…it is all due to the fact that I have a 4 day weekend ahead. I’m so in need of it too!

I received so many nice comments yesterday on the birth of my new grandson. Thank you all so much. Our Little Lad is a blessing for sure.

May your day be blessed with lots of SMILES and a little sunshine to warm your heart !

‘On Ya’-ma

7 comments:

Cindi said...

cheeeeeezzzze....
right back at cha'....have a good day
oxoxox

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Happy Thanksgiving MA! Actually...all I have to do is read your wonderful blog and I feel better!! See! I'm smiling already!! Have a wonderful, peaceful, family-love-filled holiday!
Blessings~Sharon

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Is that what it is...!!??

Lack of sunlight.....??

Happy turkey Day!!....lindaMay

That corgi :) said...

I liked those tips you gave, Ma; I am going to print them out; my husband has recently started drinking more tea and less diet soda; I'll have to share with him the information about the black tea and ask him if it has helped with his stress level since he works management and is continually dealing with stressful events

I bet you have a great smile on your face today! enjoy your 4-day weekend!

and Happy Thanksgiving!

betty

Sybil said...

Hi Ma I have a smile on my face ok. ? !! I too often think I have SAD and if I could afford it I would buy a light bulb...but...
I think there may well be something in these oldish remedies. I do know when I can't sleep or wake up after a short sleep and can't get back I often get up and having something carbo.and I can usually go back to sleep afterwards. One things I just could not take though is black tea...I need my milk and lots of it !
Much Love Sybil xx

Nezzy said...

Congratulations on this precious babe. You REALLY have much to be thankful for. I just popped in to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

God bless ya'll!!!

Buttercup said...

These are great ideas. Was feeling a little down in the dumps last night -- no special reason. Will start to up my tea consumption. Wishes for a great day. I am thankful for my blog friends!