It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, November 16, 2009

Chapter 11, Page 16, Book 09



Paper and Plastic are Blessings

When you’ve a large family and no dishwasher, you learn to save yourself a lot of work and use paper plates and plastic throw away silverware. I always look for attractive seasonal paper plates so that I have them on hand when needed.
Years ago I would get out my fine china and crystal glassware for the holidays. Back then we often used cloth napkins too. Whenever we used to buy tablecloths there was usually a set of napkins to match too.
A couple of years ago I did find a Thanksgiving table cloth with paper napkins to match. Now I only have a few of the paper napkins left but the table cloth will come out for years to come.





At the end of season sales you can often find really cheap prices on clearance for many paper products.

Papers cups of all sizes are always available too.

We still have the pots and pans to clean up in the kitchen but at least hours of washing and drying the plates, cups and silverware are now a thing of the past.

Everything at my house is just about set now for next weekend. The joy of having family together makes all the work and preparation I’ve done worthwhile for sure.

I’m off to work as usual this morning
I owe, I owe
It’s off to work I go…

Have a great Monday!

‘On Ya’-ma






6 comments:

That corgi :) said...

good idea with the paper/plastic for a big celebration (especially if you don't have a dishwasher) but also I think people can be much more relaxed if the good china is not being used. I remember going over to my in-laws where the fine china was being used and worrying one of the kids would break something. and you are right, after the holiday all that stuff is usually at least 50% off so if you have room to keep it until next year's celebration, wise to get in then

so glad to hear everything is in place for your festivities next week! I know you are excited!

betty

scrappy quilter said...

I love the idea of using paper plates when one has a gathering. I don't have a dishwasher so when we have a large crowd, it's so much simpler to use paper plates. I do love using my good china too though, so when the gathering is smaller I use the good china. Hugs.

Sybil said...

Great to hear that you are all organised for the weekend. I think it is wonderful to think that you have two celebrations so near to each other. I might manage one but two ! Great to use your plates etc as well, they look so lovely and as you say if you but them in the sales they don't cost so much. I often buy my christmas cards in the Jan. sales !!
Lets hope you have a carefree week at work.
Much Love Sybil xx

Angie said...

I'm always buying paper napkins but then I forget where Iput them. I got some really nice ones for Keith's 'do'. They'll turn up sooner or later but who wants "65" ones at Christmas??

love, Angie, xx

Kathy said...

I just bought some pretty cloth napkins and some fall themed napkins rings for Thanksgiving. We are having 6 guests for dinner and I also had to buy a new tablecloth. I got some little scarecrows on sticks to stick in the napkins once they are folded in the napkin rings. They look cute. I don't get to do this often so I am looking forward to doing it this year.

Ora said...

Hi Ma...glad you are all set and organized for the family gathering...and I have a dish washer but still would rather use the paper items...less mess and work...and also like to make good the sales after the holidays...but have to make a note to myself about where I have put everything LOL...your pictures and header are so pretty...and it seems we read the same type books...books are my best friend I do believe...and have been after I discovered the school library in the third grade...the librarian always said that Ora was her best customer!!!! LOL...God Bless...hugs...Ora