It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, October 16, 2009

Chapter 10, Page 16, Book 09




A Fable for Friday

GROWING GOOD CORN

By author unknown

There once was a farmer who grew award-winning corn. Each year he entered his corn in the state fair where it won a blue ribbon. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbors.How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbors when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year? the reporter asked.
Why sir, said the farmer, didn't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbors grow inferior corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbors grow good corn.He is very much aware of the connectedness of life. His corn cannot improve unless his neighbor's corn also improves.So it is with our lives.
Those who choose to live in peace must help their neighbors to live in peace. Those who choose to live well must help others to live well, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it touches. And those who choose to be happy must help others to find happiness, for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all.
The lesson for each of us is this: if we are to grow good corn, we must help our neighbors grow good corn. It is possible to give away and become richer! It is also possible to hold on too tightly and lose everything.
Yes, the liberal man shall be rich! By watering others, he waters himself.
- From the Bible,Proverbs 11:24-25

GOOD MORNING!

I may have told this story before, I probably did, but I love the lesson it teaches us.

If we teach others something it only helps us in the long run.

If we help someone it makes us feel good. In helping others it helps us too.

What I have isn’t a lot but I have a lot that others don’t too and I try to share that as much as I can.

It is finally Friday and it will be only a half day of work for me today. I had hoped to be able to spend my time at the camper, but as I’ve said the weather has turned much too cold and we’ll be winterizing and closing up tomorrow. So my half day off will be spent at home getting some much needed things done there.

I’ll be back to blogging now every day of the week. No more weekends off.
Have a great FRIDAY everyone!



THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If nature has made you a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart. And though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that.
Frances Hodgson Burnett
‘On Ya’ - ma

5 comments:

Hollie said...

What a great entry! I'm so sorry that camping season is over. I know you are going to miss it. Enjoy your half day off though.

scrappy quilter said...

Sorry to hear camping season is over. Just think though next year you can spend way more time there once you've retired. Enjoy you half day off.

Great post once again.

a corgi said...

while I'm glad you will be back to blogging daily again, I'm sorry it also means the end of camping season as I know you and your family enjoy those times together

that corn story is so true; I think so much of us forget that we do make impacts on people's lives by how we live and we should try to set good examples as much as we can

I hope you do enjoy your weekend, Ma, as you winterize and close down the camper; I bet you will fondly remember the good times you had there this past season

betty

Sonya said...

Well, I am glad cooler weather is arriving but I am sad for you that your camping is over b/c I know how much you love it. The next season will be here before you know it!!!! Now we can look forward to Thanksgiving huh? lol

Linda :) said...

Sorry that camping season is over... I love your countdown on the newsletter though to camping season again... lol...
I have a vacation day today!
Have a great weekend! :)