It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Chapter 10, Page 1, Book 09

The angel of October rejoices as we reap the harvest of what we have sown in life.
October is a good time to step back from our projects and our dreams and take a hard look at what we have actually accomplished.
The October angel helps us to be honest and objective about what is good and what is not. With this help, we can clearly face the consequences of our choices over the past seasons. We will taste our harvest and reject what is bitter or unripe; we will make note of what worked and what did not, and we will change for the better.
October's angel teaches us that the greatest fruit of our personal harvest is understanding ourselves
GOOD MORNING !

We start a new month today! October is definitely Pumpkin time in our neck of the woods.

I heard on the news recently that 9 out of 10 pumpkins grown in our state will wind up being carved into jack o lanterns. The remaining one out of ten pumpkins goes into cans and freezers for pumpkin pies, pumpkin breads and cookies. Yum!

Decorating for fall is really big here and you’ll see a pumpkin carved or not on a lot of door steps. I’ve been watching them ripen in the fields as I go to work for over a month and now they are beginning to show up at the roadside vegetable stands. The average cost this year is about 8 dollars they say. Much higher than I remember it being and that is due to the fact that there is a great demand for them.

Many people like to save the seeds they scoop out. Lots of them are roasted and salted and make a delicious snack. Others are dried and saved to grow more pumpkins next year. Just think if you buy a gigantic pumpkin you can save its seeds and grow your own huge pumpkin next year.

I have several artificial pumpkins here at my house. I have one that is made out of a cut of wood and another one is made of clay. I even have one that has been made out of a coconut shell. I use these over and over again every year in my fall decorations. The pumpkin I buy is the canned variety that I put into pies, breads or cookies.

I am looking forward to a new month and will be sharing some new and maybe some old poems, stories and quotes with you as always.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

JACK O LANTERN PRAYER

CUT OFF TOP: Lord open my mind and fill me with your wisdom and guidance

SCOOP OUT THE YUCKIES: Lord take all my fussies and frownies and fill me with your love

CARVE EYES: Lord open my eyes to see all the beautiful things You have made

CARVE NOSE: Lord, help me to be a sweet, sweet fragrance to You

CARVE MOUTH: Lord, helpe me to always speak Your words of love and kindness.

CANDLE: Lord, let me be a light to others because You have filled me with Your light.

‘On Ya’-ma











5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The sun is out and it's a crisp start to the day at 39degrees but the SUN is out!!!

a corgi said...

wow 39 degrees out there, Ma; I just checked our temp and it is 96 degrees at 11:30 a.m. my time

interesting facts about the pumpkins in your neck of the woods; I'm sure pumpkin patches are going to start sprouting up here over the next week or so

that pumpkin decoration from a coconut sure sounds interesting

betty

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

The pumpkins here at the grocery store are 6.99.
I love pumpkin pie! And pumpkin is very good for you.
I have never tried the pumpkin seeds. Maybe we should just plant us a little pumpkin patch for our pumpkins since they keep going up each year. Every thing has went up it seems, except the wages.
It is really nice here, not too hot or cold today. I love this time of year too.

Angie said...

Is that degrees F Ma? That is reallyy starting to get cold - even we can do better than that!

love, Angie, xx

scrappy quilter said...

I'm looking forward to a new month too. Sept was one of many changes in our home. I'm hoping Oct. is one of joy and relaxation. Hope you have a wonderful Oct. my friend. Hugs..