It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chapter 9, Page 24, Book 09


Living In The Moment
by Author Unknown
Pale clouds sail their tiny ships through the calm water of a morning sky while pansies lift painted petals to the sun as it a flock of butterflies had paused for a moment to slip fingers and toes deep in sweet earth in silent greeting.

Today, I realize to live in the moment is to learn how to listen, to dream the life I desire and then release it like a brilliant butterfly to follow the voice of the Divine.
When I slow my frantic pace and trust the guidance deep within the stillness of the moment, life becomes a sweet adventure as I rise to greet each morning like a pansy lift my petals to the sun, and smile: my life is blessed
GOOD MORNING!

We often think of pansies as a spring flower, but just recently I happened to be at a garden center and they had baskets and baskets of the sweet colorful pansies sitting on the shelves.

Well I found out that pansies are cool weather flowers. Breeding has produced pansies that are better able to stand up to the cold, but there hasn’t been much luck producing more heat tolerant varieties. Many pansies are bicolored, making them striking plants for their small size. Although delicate, they are surprisingly hardy. Look for some of the newer varieties that can handle a slight freeze. And like their cousins the violas and violets, the flowers are edible.

When the sky is gray and the landscape bleak, a pot full of pretty pansies on the porch offers a cheerful sight. Think about growing pansies in pots or baskets and put them in places where you can enjoy their charming faces up close. A group of three tightly planted pots placed close to the entry of your home or apartment – if the spot is sunny – is the perfect environment for pansies. Be sure to let these perennials dry a bit between waterings.


Mix in groupings of small to large pumpkins, Indian corn and gourds with your containers to emphasize the harvest theme. Get creative – mix and match the colors and combinations you like best. At my local nursery I saw some six-packs of what were called 'Halloween Pansies' – three were bright pumpkin orange and three were such a deep purple that they looked black in all but the brightest sunlight. You could have such fun with those! Mix them in a container with other Halloween decorations or some orange snapdragons or chrysanthemum, or even a plastic or ceramic pumpkin and some silk autumn leaves

Don’t I always say I learn something new every day!


There you have it – my Autumn offering for today. Maybe it’ll inspire you – it certainly did me. I’m off to the campsite after work today. With any luck I may be able to get on line…if not I’ll see you all on Monday.

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers as always

‘On Ya’-ma







7 comments:

Hollie said...

I didn't know that! What a wonderful idea for a fall decoration. Have a great weekend!

Cindi said...

The arrangement sounds beautiful...have fun at the camp ground!....

scrappy quilter said...

I didn't realize that either although I did know you can eat pansies. Have a wonderful weekend at the camp. Hugs.

Kathy said...

I love pansies and violas. I had them on a salad at a friends house. She had candied them and they were yummy. And so pretty on the salad. Have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

you make me want to go to the garden center.... I had some pansies that came back the next year. they had bigger flowers too. I enjoyed coming to visit you again today!

a corgi said...

I had forgotten that about the pansies (that they were edible) but years ago the kids/me took a full course where we learned what flowers were edible and even sampled some of them and I remember pansies were one of them. Such a pretty flower with lots of purposes

I hope you enjoy your weekend at the campsite :)

betty

Sybil said...

I like the pansies very much and in fact always have some in my window boxes. We have them called winter pansies and they definatley do quite well in cooler weather but not frost they seem to die off when it gets too cold or maybe it is where they are in the garden. I think they need to be in a sheltered spot. Have a wonderful weekend.
Much Love Sybil xx