It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, September 18, 2009

Chapter 9, Page 18, Book 09





Once more the liberal year laughs out
O'er richer stores than gems or gold:
Once more with harvest song and shout
Is nature's boldest triumph told
John Greenleaf Whittier

The landscape seduces with rattling bronze oak leaves, the dark chocolate of the crisping prairie dock, and waving golden grasses. But everywhere, there are dashes of unexpected brightness: a sumac, a maple grove, the multi-colored leaves of goldenrods


The Oaks are Family Trees

For centuries they have been symbols of grandeur, antiquity, and rugged endurance. They have been the subjects of countless proverbs, myths, and poetic allusions. In our region, they are the lords of the land, raising their broad and stout-limbed forms over a varied landscape of moraines, dune ridges, and bottomland. The fossil record suggests the oaks so back at least to the Eocene epoch, 56 to 35 million years ago

GOOD MORNING!

I love hearing about my family ancestry. Knowing where they came from and how they lived is important for us to know. Many of the ways we do things had their start with our ancestors. The way we think about things and the way we feel are often affected by them too.

Each of us contributes to our own family and to the world in a unique way. Whether we are rich or poor, famous or unnoticed in history, every family member makes a difference in the life of others. We are all unique people with stories to be recorded—stories that will teach and help future generations.

Just knowing a little bit about family health issues can help future generations too. I know that any doctor I’ve ever been to has asked about that. If they know there might be an inherited problem, then they can keep an eye out for it.

I am not like the oak tree in that I cannot go back in history 35 million years ago but my family tree is important. Our roots mean a lot.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: one is roots.

The other is wings.

Hodding Carter, Jr

‘On Ya’-ma


6 comments:

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

Beautiful MA! I love your picture of the mighty oak.
Be well my poetic friend,
Sharon

Cindi said...

Roots make us grow!!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!

scrappy quilter said...

Oh how I love oak trees. We have many, many in the park across from our home. Roots are so very important. I only wish I knew more about my ancestors. Hugs and have a wonderful weekend.

Hollie said...

There's an amazing oak tree at my Mom's old house. It's been there...Lord knows how long. It has the huge roots above ground that I played on all the years I was growing up & it still stands. I wonder what all that ole tree has seen.

Have a great weekend @ the camper:)

a corgi said...

one of the things I enjoyed the most growing up was my mom sharing stories about her growing up days and about my grandparents. She didn't talk much about her grandparents and I hardly know anything about my dad's parents or extended family for that matter, which is something I miss at times.

I agree it is soooo good to know about where we came from, the type of people that in actuality helped shape us, even though they were born way before our time; good food for thought to make sure I get down on paper before I forget the stories my mom share with me

enjoy the weekend :)

betty

Ora said...

Finding my family roots has been amazing...and somewhat alarming LOL...but fun...lots of unanawered questions...but not a bad bunch really LOL...roots are what make us grow in our life...family roots give us a sense of purpose!!! hope your week end is a goody...hugs from Ora in KY