It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, August 28, 2009

Chapter 8, Page 28, Book 09

A fable for Friday

An elderly carpenter was ready to retire.
He told his employer-contractor of his plans to leave the house-building business and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family.
He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.
The contractor was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor.
The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work.
He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end a dedicated career.
When the carpenter finished his work the employer came to inspect the house.
He handed the front-door key to the carpenter. "This is your house, he said, 'my gift to you."
The carpenter was shocked!!
What a shame!! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so much differently.
So it is with us. We build our lives, a day at a time, often putting less than our best into the building.
Then with a shock we realize we have to live in the house we have built.
If we could do it over, we'd do bit much differently. But we cannot go back. You are the carpenter.
Each day you hammer a nail, place a board or erect a wall.
"Life is a do-it-yourself project" someone has said.
Your attitudes and the choices you make today, build the "house" you live in tomorrow.
Build it wisely!!
GOOD MORNING !
It’s always good to think you are doing things the best you can. Even when our hearts are not into it. I do that most every week day when I go to work. I’ve always been a hard worker and this job is probably one of the easiest I’ve ever had, but still I do it 100% with no slogging. I have some busy days but for the most part can work at an easy pace.
I was taught at a young age to always do my best and my parents were hard task masters too. I rarely remember doing much right in their eyes, but I tried my darnedest. My children are all responsible, hard workers too, so I guess that trait of mine followed through to them. I hope I never left them feeling inadequate the way my parents did to me.
I’ve always tried to praise them for what they do. They all are kids to be proud of. I don’t take l the credit though as they had a great dad and the good Lord did His bit too. I know I didn’t do it all by my self for sure.
We should really never do or say anything we’d regret as we just don’t know who might be affected by our actions. That includes our selves. What goes around does really come around too.
I’m off for the weekend and we’ll be having a birthday celebration on Saturday as DS#1 turns 38. It’s so very hard to believe he’s that old already. You know I still treat him like a kid, which he is to me. You never get over being a mom no matter how old they get.
You will all be in my thoughts and prayers as always!
THOUGHT FOR TODAY

When you have a lot of things to do, get your nap out of the way first.
‘On Ya’-ma


5 comments:

Sonya said...

Happy Bday to DS#1 and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. "Work as unto the Lord"....always a good work ethic.

a corgi said...

loved the story about the carpenter, surely a good lesson in it

love the new picture on your blog header; I'm assuming its one of your precious grand-daughters?

happy birthday to DS#1; I hope he has a great day and you guys enjoy your time together; yep, no matter how old our kids are, we do tend to still baby them :)

betty

scrappy quilter said...

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Another great post from a very wise lady. Hugs..

Sybil said...

By The time you get to read this you will have been away and back again I expect from what is sure tobe a wonderful weekend..Hope the birthday "boy" has a great weekend as well...Our weekend weather forcast is a bit "iffy" so hope you have still got the summertime. Love Sybil xx

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Send some of that cool air our way....i'm ready for it!!

Enjoy your weekend....LindaMay