It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chapter 8, Page 19, Book 09



When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going
Joseph P. Kennedy

The tough hang in there; they persevere

In the Greek language, the word perseverance is literally made up of two words. One means “to remain.” The other word means “under.” That tells us that perseverance is the ability to remain under the pressure of difficulty with a good spirit

GOOD MORNING!

In the header today I put a picture of some new glasses and matching carafe that I reacently purchased at the dollar store. They were all on sale . I love the end of season clearance sales. I got a set of 8 glasses at 50 cents each and the carafe was 50 cents. They were not an expensive item at all but I’m going to enjoy them for many years. That is if I don’t break them. So often I break things that always seem to be the things that matter most.

They have an embossed pattern on them with lemon slices and wedges and the words LEMONADE. I do enjoy fresh lemonade. It is very refreshing on hot summer days and reminds me too that when life hands you lemons…just make some lemonade.

This all goes together with my theme for today – when the going gets tough, the tough get going. With a large family like mine times were always tough it seemed. When the children were young, my DDH worked 2 jobs so we’d be able to afford everything they needed.

When the youngest was 4 I went back to work just so he could stop working 2 jobs and see his family more. The boys were growing up…the oldest at that time was 12 and they needed more time with their Dad. We always made ends meet and never wanted to anything that was important. We might have wanted a few more things, but we had what was necessary.

I’ve worked since and am thankful I’d gone back to work when I did. Little did I know that a short 8 years later I would be the sole support of our family.

I do thank the good Lord for seeing us through those tough times and that we were tough enough to persevere through it all. We really never thought of ourselves as having a tough time, but looking back we surely did work hard to make it all come out right.

The glasses were not needed at my house and thankfully I can now splurge now and then and buy trivial things on a whim.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Believing in yourself is essential

‘On Ya’-ma

5 comments:

LYN said...

THE GLASSES ARE VERY PRETTY...

Cindi ;) said...

Really cute set...I have a glass of fresh lemonade with ya!

a corgi said...

those glasses are cute and what a great deal you got on them! sometimes we don't need them, but sometimes its good to splurge a little bit and spruce up our household with things like this, especially if they are reasonably priced like these were. I'm sure you will enjoy drinking lemonade or other beverages in those glasses!

you do what you have to do sometimes, like you said. You had no idea you would be widowed at such a young age with kids still at home; looking back I'm sure it is a testimony to your perseverance and the Lord's blessings on you all that you were able to raise your kids and meet their needs.

enjoy the day :)

betty

scrappy quilter said...

Love the "thought for today" and really like the glasses. Another wonderful post.

Sybil said...

Like the new glass wear..and so cheap as well..good on you. I agree that it is a delight to be able to buy little treats when one has not ben in teh habbit of doing so. That is one thing I am sorry for for the youngsters of today they never seem to be able to resist their little treats so very soon they are not treats but needs..and then the credit card comes out and they don't think they are actualy paying for it !!!
I am convinced if they don;t actually see the money come out of their purse they don't actually realise how much they are spending.
anyway have a lovely day you will be away tomorrow to your beloved weekend retreat...fingers crossed fro some lovely sunshine for you all. We have hod our quota of sunshine this week last 2 days were wonderful..bakc to drizzle this morning Lol
Love Sybil xx