It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Chapter 7, Page 8, Book 09


Characteristics of a healthy family
If your family doesn't already possess this list of characteristics, you now know what to work on!
Commitment to one another & a sense of connectedness
Adequate time together, which is spent effectively in meeting family needs, working together, and enjoying recreation.
Effective communication and conflict management.
Sufficient expression of appreciation and encouragement.
Agreement on and competence in the fulfillment of the roles and responsibilities of family life.
Shared spiritual life that gives meaning and purpose.
Involvement in, support from and contribution to their community and larger world.
Positive family identity and shared life story.
Ability to cope with crises and developmental changes
GOOD MORNING !

As you all know I truly value family life. It always warms my heart when I have my children and their children together. As they’ve all grown and have families of their own I know that some of the values that were developed in their childhood have carried on to adulthood and they are being passed on to their children too.

They don’t do every thing the way I did it that is for certain, but the basic values have carried through. All of them are very much their own individuals and not a carbon copy of mom and dad.

Many times things I’ve forgotten about are brought up in our discussions and I’m amazed at the things that they remember. I hear people say that they can see the love and caring that is evident in my family. I can only say that my husband and I loved them all so much that if anything else that had to have been absorbed. Not one of them could ever even doubt that at all.

If I was giving advice I would say that you can never love a child too much. A parent’s job, and I do look at it as a vocation, is to teach their children the values that will carry them through life.

It’s a good feeling knowing that with the good Lord’s help, I know they can take care of themselves and their families too.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Every child begins the world again.

Henry David Thoreau

‘On Ya’-ma







6 comments:

scrappy quilter said...

You are so right. You can never love a child too much. You can spoil a child too much, however there is a total difference from a spoilt child and a loved child.

Like you, our older kids often share with us things they learnt as a child. For the most part, our values have gone with them. They have their own lives now and at times we see things....well you know what I mean and yet we loved them as dearly now as adults as we did when they were wee babes in our arms.

Family is an incredible gift God gave us. Hope you have a wonderful day.

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

family is wonderful. I just wish I had more loved ones closer or living. But I am very thankful for the ones I have. I wish there were more moms and grandmoms like you out there. Some have no interest in anything but themself and forget about their kids. Makes me sad, I just don't understand it.

Thank you for this post.

LOve,Cassie

a corgi said...

I totally agree with the love part, Ma, and the fact that parenting is a vocation. So many parents sometimes think the schools or church are going to teach their kids morals, or manners, or responsibilties, etc., but it really is the parents job to do so. The kids learn so much by what is said in addition to what is modeled (sometimes more on what is modeled than what is said). Looks like you and hubby were great models for your kids!

betty

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! You have a beautiful family, how wonderful that you could all be together for the holiday. I really enjoyed your pictures and your prose.
Blessings!Sharon

Jeannette said...

A lovely posting as always and I so agree with you.

Joyful Days said...

I loved this post so much!!