It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chapter 7, Page 22, Book 09



Life in the Present: A 10-Step Approach

1. Do one thing at a time. Single-task, don't multi-task. When you're pouring water, just pour water.
2. Do it slowly and deliberately. You can do one task at a time, but also rush that task. Instead, take your time, and move slowly.
3. Do less. If you do less, you can do those things more slowly, more completely and with more concentration. If you fill your day with tasks, you will be rushing from one thing to the next without stopping to think about what you do
4. Put space between things. It's a way of managing your schedule so that you always have time to complete each task. Don't schedule things close together - instead, leave room between things on your schedule
5. Spend at least 5 minutes each day doing nothing. Just sit in silence. Become aware of your thoughts
6. Stop worrying about the future - focus on the present. Just focus on what you're doing, right now. Enjoy the present moment
7. When you're talking to someone, be present. focus on really listening, on really enjoying your time with that person
8. Eat slowly and savor your food. Savor each bite, slowly, and really get the most out of your food. Interestingly, you'll eat less this way, and digest your food better as well
9. Live slowly and savor your life. Just as you would savor your food, do everything this way - slow down and savor each and every moment
10. Make cleaning and cooking become meditation. They are both great ways to practice mindfulness.. Put your entire mind into those tasks and do them slowly and completely. It could change your entire day as well as leave you with a cleaner house

When you get stuck in the past, or consumed by the future, it's easy to lose sight of the pleasures of life in the present.

GOOD MORNING !

I love a clean house and I love to cook. Most of the time though, the house is ignored and very little cooking is done here. Last night I made egg salad as I’d been craving it. That is the kind of cooking I do most of the time.

I love the feeling you get when the house is sparkling and every thing is in it’s place. Mine hasn’t felt like that for a while. The necessities get done and very little else.

By the end of a day at work I’ve done about as much as I can. When I’m no longer camping on the weekends more will get done at home, but til then I will not loose sleep over it for sure.

So according to the list above I have a few things to work on if I’m going to live in the moment. I really do think it is the best way to live. I’m going to start practicing those things on that list today. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The work will wait while you show the child the rainbow -
but the rainbow may not wait...
Author Unknown

‘On Ya’-ma





8 comments:

LYN said...

HOW FUNNY I JUST DID A THOROUGH CLEAN YESTERDAY...I LOVE THAT FEELING TOO..WHEN YOU STAND BACK AND LOOK AROUND AND EVERYTHING IS SPARKLING...
HAVE A GOOD HUMP DAY!! ;-)

Sharon's Cottage Quilts said...

What a great post! I seem to get caught up in a whirlwind of motion lately, doing many things...but none thoroughly. Wonderful reminder to be thankful that I can even do those things...Thanks MA!

Linda :) said...

Happy Hump Day! Today if I was not on vacation would be a regular day off so decided I would do some cleaning today, lol... and son3's bday is Friday so he's expecting the decorating to begin... :)

BlueRidge Boomer said...

My Grandmother used to say " a house needs to be clean eough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy"....Great post!!

Enloy.....LindaMay

Joan said...

Since we retired I seem to have less time to clean with hubby here I just cannot get on at all. Now your over the hump it will not be long till the weekend. Love Joan

Kath said...

I think i will second you on savouring the moment Ma.I too am at my best
when everything is looking good and clean.Have a lovely day.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

a corgi said...

I like the living in the moment and slowing down; sometimes I'm rushing, rushing, rushing with no time to really think even what I'm doing or trying to accomplish; this is great advice to remember

I think you are wise to have the realistic approach about house cleaning; enjoy your time on the weekends with family/friends and the summer weather. Before long it will be winter and then there will be that time to clean and organize

betty

scrappy quilter said...

I love the Life in the Present....oh so true. I love slowing down and taking time to just relax and enjoy my surroundings. Great post!!