It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chapter 6, Page 16, Book 09


NOT ENOUGH CASHIERS
1. Here are the reasons I'd Like to thank Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and my local grocer for having 25 checkout lanes and only three open at any given time....
2. Waiting in long lines keeps my domestic brain from going completely idle -- there's so much to learn!
3. I can catch up on my magazine reading without buying any.
4. I have time to leave my cart in line and run back to get the 13 things on my list I forgot.
5. I can be one of those annoying cell phone users and catch up on all my phone calls to my insurance agent, mother-in-law, and Auntie Anne.
6. I can catch a quick catnap now rather than on the drive home.
7. I can assess what other people have in their carts and get exciting new dinner ideas.
8. I can finally apply my top coat of nail polish with plenty of drying time.
9. I can run next door and pick up my dry cleaning.
10. I can update my coupon organizer and leave the trash in the we-never-open-enough-checkout-lanes store instead of my purse.
11. I can practice my standup comedy routines on unsuspecting fellow customers.
12. I can practice some standing yoga poses and then do those isometric muscle-contracting exercises no one else in line is Supposed to know you're doing.
13. I can taste test my package of the newest low-carb, zero-transfat, Splenda-saturated cookies.
14. I can breathe heavily on my T-bones so they're defrosted in time for dinner and I won't have to leave them out on the driveway in the hot late afternoon sun as I normally do.
Author Unknown

We may not feel like smiling or laughing because we have too much upsetting us. This is a condition that we can usually do something about. Since we are happy when we have pleasant thoughts, we can change our thoughts to something that is enjoyable. Sometimes it is difficult when we are in a deep rut but it can be done with practice

GOOD MORNING !

I love it when someone can turn a bad situation into something to SMILE about. It’s so easy to stress out about conditions we can do nothing about. The good Lord knows I need to remember to SMILE more often.

I used to get compliments on how cheerful my voice always was on the phone. I haven’t had any of those in awhile now. Maybe I better try putting a SMILE on my face before I pick up the phone.

In our world of modern technology we tend to send more e-mails than actually talk to some one. The younger generation is always using text messages and would be lost with out their cell phones which are used to send the messages. Yet our voices can say so much more than the words we speak.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY



What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. They are but trifles, to be sure, but, scattered along life's pathway, The good they do is inconceivable

Joseph Addison

‘On Ya’
-ma

10 comments:

Joan said...

I was laughing at the picde aboout the supermarket. At the moment out suprmarket has closed down as it has been bought over by Sainsbury a market leader over here it will reopen in July after being closed for 8 weeks. They used to have just one checkout sometime so your piece really sank home. Love Joan

Kathy said...

Isn't that the truth. I love the funny checkout stand humor. It is so true though. I never see more than a few checkers and the empty checkstands. They are remodeling our Walmart and they removed the self check checkstands. That really ticked me off because I used those all the time. Ok I am off my soapbox now.

Jeannette said...

Yes a smile can mean so much, it can make a persons day. When I was at the hospital yesterday despite my own trauma, I turned to a woman next to me and told her not to worry and gave her a big smile. She smiled in return and her face lit up. She thanked me. A smile costs nothing and can mean the world to someone.

Sybil said...

LOved the skit on the supermarket check outs or lack of them !!
I so agree about the smile. Many Many years ago I trained as a telephonist...remember them !! and we were told ALWAYS to put a smile on our face as we answered the phone as it would carry across the line....and I am sure it does...It is one thng I always TRY to remember to do...
Much Love from a smiling Sybil xx

Kath said...

"Smile and the world smiles with you " is one of my favourite sayings Ma.So true too.I agree with every word about the supermarkets.I am sending you a smile down the line.I love your new sidebar pictures of your adorable family.It's good to catch up on your pics they are so lovely and what a beautiful home they have.WOW!! I love the pool.So sorry to read of your dear Grandson.What a shock that was.Prayers for you and yours always.Enjoy your nice weather whilst it lasts.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Angie said...

\hi Ma! I love checkout queues at Christmas. /a few years ago I was in one where it was 2 hurs from the back to the front. We had a high old time siging carols and chatting. Someone was even passing a tin of Heroes back and forth

I never mind being in queues of traffic either. specially if in a strnge town. It gives you chance to get your bearings and decide which lane you should go in.

I'm smiling, can you hear me?

loe, Angie, xx

Melanie said...

:) yup!!

Melanie

Hollie said...

That is so true about the check outs. I loved your photos! Your grandson's headstone is so pretty! I'm so sorry for your loss. Your family look so happy :0)

scrappy quilter said...

Yup is right. Hugs!!

a corgi said...

I enjoyed reading the supermarket check out list; that was cute!!

I agree with trying to be pleasant with a smile on our face when talking on the phone; such a rare occurrence to actually get someone on the phone these days too when calling companies and not voice mail or recorded message. I almost have to do a double take when I get a real live person when I call some place.

I hope your Wednesday is a good one

betty