It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, May 29, 2009

Chapter 5, Page 29, Book 09


FRIDAY’S FABLE

The Vase
by Author Unknown
One day I was lying on the bed, reading, when my mother came into the room. She held out a vase - a rather ugly vase. She asked, "Would you like to have this vase?"
I replied quickly, "No, I don't want it."
As she turned to walk away, I picked up something that said to me, wait a minute, there is something here. So I asked, '"Where did you get it?'"
She said, "Oh, I got it when I filled an order."
Filled an order? I thought - no communication here. So I asked, "What do you mean, filled an order?'"
"Well," she said, "when I was a little girl, the Smith Company mailed catalogs to people. I would take the catalog around the neighborhood, and I'd get people to order from it. When I filled an order and sent it in, they gave me a prize. One time, I got a porch swing for my family."
Now you have to understand that my mother is 81 years old. She is one of six children in a family that her father deserted when she was quite young. Money was real hard to come by. My grandmother managed to keep the family together through the years, although I don't know how. For my mother to win a luxury like a porch swing was a significant accomplishment. Although she no longer had the swing, she had the vase -a vase full of meaning - which she offered to me.
Instantly I said, "Mom, I want the vase." Now it sits in a prominent place in my living room.
It symbolizes a precious meaning which my mother and I share. Unless you and I are sensitive to the other person and hear meaning, as well as words, we may miss wonderful opportunities in life.
GOOD MORNING !
There have been plenty of times in my life that I’ve been to busy to listen. Listening to the words of our loved ones can be so very priceless. Even people that are strangers often have some valuable words to share.
It’s important to share the stories of our lives with each other so that in some way the things we do and say are better understood. If someone has outward problems it usually means that there are problems on the inside too.
I read a quote the other day that said: Sorrows can take care of themselves, but joys need someone to divide them with. I wasn’t so sure what that meant til I thought about it awhile. It’s true I guess that I can keep my sorrows to myself and it doesn’t matter, but if I have something I’m happy about I need to share that happiness with some one else.
It’s the weekend once more so you all know where I’ll be. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers and I’ll see you all on Monday morning…God willing and the creek don’t rise.


THOUGHT FOR TODAY
I've learned that you can't have everything
and do everything at the same time
Oprah Winfrey

‘On Ya’-ma

7 comments:

Hollie said...

Good Morning,
I know you are happy to be heading out to the camper this evening. I'm looking forward to seeing new pictures! Have a good day!

Ora said...

as usual you have given me "food for thought"...and the vase story was precious...hope your "camping" week end is good!!! have fun...!!I know you will get some good R&R...(rest and rejuvenation) LOL...hugs...Ora

Cindi ;) said...

Enjoy your time together this weekend...wishing I could be there to join in on the fun!...

Rose said...

Love the Vase Story! It is filled with sooooooo much meaning. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs, Rose

Kelly said...

Good morning Ma :) I really enjoyed the vase story. I hope you have a great weekend and the sun is shining for you. Hugs, Kelly

scrappy quilter said...

Much food for thought here. Have a wonderful weekend. Hope the weather is perfect for you. Hugs.

a corgi said...

Ma, thanks for your kind "welcome back" comments on my journal; I'm so glad it is the summertime with weekends to your camper; I know you do look forward to them very much and enjoy your time with your family!

that vase story is a good one to think about in the week ahead

betty