It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, May 15, 2009

Chapter 5, Page 15, Book 09


FRIDAY’S FABLE

THE GRANNY TREE

Once upon a time, there was a wonderful tree called the Granny Tree. Little children and big children came to hear the songs that poured forth when she rustled her leaves. Children would climb her trunk and swing from her branches. In the Summer when it was hot, or when they were sad, afraid or tired, they would rest against her trunk and sleep in her shade. In the autumn they would eat the fruit that had grown from her spring blossoms. The children loved the Granny Tree very much and the Granny Tree was happy.
Over the years, the sky sometimes turned dark and the wind blew hard. The Granny Tree’s branches were tossed from side to side, back and forth and up and down. But, when the wind stopped blowing, the Granny Tree was still standing even though many of her branches were broken and many of her leaves had blown away. Periodically the tree wizards were called in to help the granny Tree. Dr. Fixumup would tap on her roots and feel her bark. He would climb his ladder to check her branches and put his ear to her trunk and say, “Your heart is still beating, so we will give you some medicine to heal your broken branches so you can continue to sing your songs.” Usually the Granny Tree got stronger. But each time after a storm, she was sad and missed the branches and leaves that were gone. Over time, her songs weren’t so loud, her shade was less plentiful and the fruits grew smaller. As long as she had some branches to give shade and some leaves to rustle and some blossoms that would turn into fruit to share with others, the Granny Tree was happy.
Then one day a very bad storm came and the Granny Tree was bent over by the force of the wind. Almost all her roots came out of the ground. The tree wizards and Dr. Fixumup tried everything to get the Granny Tree standing again. The Granny Tree looked at her branches and saw her wilting leaves. She was very sad. She knew that she would no longer be strong enough for people to lean on her trunk. There would be no more blossoms and fruit to share. There were no more leaves to rustle her songs for the children and the children’s children. The Granny Tree asked that when her heart stopped beating, the tree wizards and Dr. Fixumup take what was left of her branches, her trunk and her roots to see if they could learn how to help other trees grow stronger and healthier.
The children and the children’s children were very sad when the Granny Tree died and was carried away. They sat and talked about what fun it was to laugh and play in her branches, to rest against her strong and noble trunk, to languish in the shade of her branches and to enjoy her fruits. The children taught the children of their children the songs of the Granny Tree and shared her sacred stories. As long as there are children to sing her songs, the memory of the Granny Tree will never die

GOOD MORNING !
There are some memories that you just never forget. The days I spent with my grandmother still seem as real as if they happened yesterday. She was my hero and everything she did was with love. Even though she was born into a family of wealth, she became a victim of the great depression during the early years of her marriage. She was a mother to 10 children, she was a school teacher and even postmaster at one time. She was a wife of a farmer which meant she kept a garden and had chickens to care for. What I remember most about her was her patience and her faith in God.
She made most of her own clothing, she quilted and she crocheted. She managed to make do with what she was given and never complained. At least I never heard it if she did.
Every time I feel over worked, I think about her and all she did. We have so many modern day conveniences that she never had. I do keep her alive in my heart and that’s a good thing because all my memories are full of love.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY
Our stories matter...Your stories matter…
For you never know how much of a difference they make and to whom.
Caroline Joy Adams
‘On Ya’ -ma

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow!! What a terrific post. I love the story of the Granny tree. And your grandmother must have been a wonderful woman. How great that our memories are able to be passed on down through the generations so they are never forgotten. Have a good weekend at your camper.

Hollie said...

What a wonderful memory! It seems like sometimes I'm running circles, & I only have one child. I can't imagine doing all she did & taking care of 10 children. She was an amazing woman.

I hope you have a wonderful Friday & a wonderful weekend at the camper!

Cindi ;) said...

G'mas are the best...thats why I post a pic of my on my blog..love her dearly..have a great weekend

Sybil said...

Thank you as always Ma. I did love the Granny Tree story. And reading about your reminices of your Grandmother. I unfortunatly never had a Garnny as they had died before I cam along...well that is not strictly true my Father's Mother was around for a wee while but she was very distant and not a Real Granny ! By now you wll be almost finished work for another week and shoudl soon be on the road to your beloved caravan. Have a wonderful weekend. I will be praying for some nice warm sunchine for us all !
Love Sybil xx

scrappy quilter said...

What wonderful memories you have of her. This post brings back memories of my great granny...so like your grandma. It's wonderful to have these memories.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Sure hope you can get out their and do some camping. Hugs..

Angie said...

I loved this post so much I read it several times, specially the Granny Tree story, which I read out loud. Wonderful!

love, Angie, xx

Ora said...

I know many many "grandmas"...but never really understood my own...so I think for this reason I try to go the extra mile of being a "Granny"...and I find it to be so very rewarding!!! yours sounds like a gem among diamonds!!! glad you have such good memories...and I know it is Friday...and you are going camping...so enjoy to the fullest..hugs from Ora in KY

Carlene Noggle said...

I too remember my granny as she came to live with us in her final years. I wish now that I had talked to her thenmore and more importantly LISTENED to her more. She died in 1968 and I still miss her. Our parents and grandparents have so many wonderful stories to tell of their youth and of past generations...
love ya,
carlene

Rose said...

Love the story about the Granny Tree.

You always have such warm stories to share. I love reading your blogs.

Hugs, Rose

Sonya said...

Oh, I have been looking at your pics of the campground. It is soooo nice! And the grandkids are having a good time too.
Hope you have a good work week!
Sonya