It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chapter 5, Page 14, Book 09


Letting go doesn't mean we don't care. Letting go doesn't mean we shut down. Letting go means we stop trying to force outcomes and make people behave. It means we give up resistance to the way things are, for the moment. It means we stop trying to do the impossible--controlling that which we cannot--and instead, focus on what is possible--which usually means taking care of ourselves. And we do this in gentleness, kindness,and love, as much as possible.
Melody Beattie

GOOD MORNING!

We’ve all had things that we needed to let go. Sometimes it’s easy and other times it’s the hardest thing in the world to do. From letting go of an old friendship to letting go of an old piece of comfortable furniture that has seen it’s better day.

Lots of things make us feel secure, yet we know they are no longer needed. I have a house full of memories stashed away in every nook and cranny and I know I need to clear it all out, yet some days I feel I like being comfortable with the mess because memories are hard to let go of.

Of course this all involves a lot of work too…time and circumstances keep making me put off what needs to be done. I will soon have that time and believe me when I say the rubbish men are not going to like all the piles I’ll be putting on the curb for pick up.

Every moment of every day involves some letting go. We let go to make space for something else.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned,so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.
Joseph Campbell
‘On Ya’-ma

6 comments:

Cindi ;) said...

Nice quote!
have a great day

Angie said...

Don't give them up Ma, pass them on! I don't think we should give up our memories. The older we get, the more precious they become.
love, Angie, xx

scrappy quilter said...

Love this and really needed it today. We've had to let go of a beloved pet this morning. It's been very difficult and yet we knew it had to be done. She was in so much pain. Letting go can be very difficult at times. Hugs..

Rose said...

I have the same problem. There are some things I just don't want to let go of yet it is occupying needed space that I need.

I promised myself I would fill up one large trash bag once a week and start the clean up. I got as far as buying the trash bags and gave away three trash bags to the Vets that pick up at your door.

I've been meaning to do more but something always pops up and delays my good intentions.

Hugs, Rose

JCWillow99@gmail.com said...

wonderful post

Linda :) said...

"It means we stop trying to do the impossible--controlling that which we cannot--and instead, focus on what is possible--which usually means taking care of ourselves."
I love this phrase! Just perfect.... :)