It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chapter 3, Page 31, Book 09


The young man had lost his job and didn't know which way to turn. So he went to see the old preacher.
Pacing about the preacher's study, the young man ranted about his problem. Finally he clenched his fist and shouted, "I've begged God to say something to help me. Tell me, Preacher, why doesn't God answer?"
The old preacher, who sat across the room, spoke something in reply -- something so hushed it was indistinguishable. The young man stepped across the room. "What did you say?" he asked.
The preacher repeated himself, but again in a tone as soft as a whisper. So the young man moved closer until he was leaning on the preacher's chair. "Sorry," he said. "I still didn't hear you."
With their heads bent together, the old preacher spoke once more. "God sometimes whispers," he said, "so we will move closer to hear Him." This time the young man heard and he understood.
We all want God's voice to thunder through the air with the answer to our problem. But God's is the still, small voice. . . the gentle whisper.
Perhaps there's a reason. Nothing draws human focus quite like a whisper. God's whisper means I must stop my ranting and move close to Him, until my head is bent together with His. And then, as I listen, I will find my answer. Better still, I find myself closer to God. In times of trouble and pain, we need to come to our Heavenly Father in prayer both for the answer and also to show the Lord our trust in Him. There is nothing impossible with the Lord. He is the answer and through Him shall all of our troubles cease. I encourage you to call upon the Lord today and speak to God not as a superficial being but speak to the Lord as a friend. He knows you better than you know yourself.
Author Unknown
TODAY’S PROVERB

If you falter in times of trouble,
how small is your strength!
Proverbs 24:10

We are too little to be always able to rise above difficulties. Well, then, let us pass beneath them quite simply.
St. Therese de Lisieux

GOOD MORNING ALL !

Difficulties hit us all. They can be small or great but yet they affect how we live. I heard a report on the news about how the flooding out in Minnesota will have a great effect later on people because of the stress that has been put on their hearts.

Many will have heart problems later in life because they feared loosing everything they had in the flood. Not only their property but fear of loosing their lives too, has but undue strain on them
.
It is so easy to let things overwhelm us.

I have one of those little coins that I carry around in my purse that says ‘this too shall pass’. It’s true. No matter what we are going through it will pass. We just have to have faith and trust that we will get through it all.

The stress of working to help out with our family expenses wasn’t half as bad as it was for me after I had to become the main supporter and provider for my family. I was put under some very stressful times trying to make sure we had what was needed. I found out though that we could survive and my family all grew up and all turned out well. All the pressure I felt was for nothing as I should have been able to trust that it would be ok.

Now for several years I’ve worked just to support myself and I even feel a little pressure there as I’ve often been so tired of it all, but knew I had to keep on so I would never have to depend on my children to help me.

If you’ve persevered with me this month through the Proverbs, maybe you’ve already guessed what my decision will be. I’ve taken all those wise words to heart and have made a decision. I will retire when my birthday comes around next year. I will trust that what I’ll have coming my way in retirement income will be sufficient for me to live on and I’ll be trying to remain wise as I know that even though I won’t be at a place of employment any longer I’ll still have lots of work to do. Life will go on, and I’ll still have each day to celebrate.

I do hope I’ll be able to see and enjoy those more restful days, but should I not be able to do so, I’ll have the satisfaction of knowing I’ve done the best I could in all circumstances. There is only One who knows the length of our days and he’ll have the final say for sure.

‘On Ya’-ma


Today’s Blessing

Deep peace of the running wave to you
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you





6 comments:

Hollie said...

I don't blame you at all! I hope will be able to do all the things you want to do when you retire.

scrappy quilter said...

I don't blame you at all either. We both retired early and have never regretted it. We planned well, have a strong faith and live within our means. We are content.

I know you will be too.

btw - I love the story about the man and the pastor. AWESOME words.

Rose said...

I retired last year and I'm thrilled not to have to set the darn alarm clock! LOL

Hugs, Rose

Sybil said...

Dearest Ma, I do think there comes a time when we have to listen to that still small voice...
I am sure once you get your head into the retirment mode you will find you have made the best decision ever. You have so much love and wisdom to give away and that can be given freely...so I for one will be looking for even more love and wisdom from you next year....so better get prepared !!
Much Love sybil xx

Janie said...

Enjoyed this entry. I know what you mean about the stress over things years ago. I also look back and wonder what was wrong with me!! lol I know a song... "Through It All" that says a lot. God is in control if we allow Him to be. Really hard learning to let go of the reins. lol I am glad that you are going to retire. I agree that the Lord will take care of the rest. Blessings, Janie

Joann said...

Congratulations on your decision!! I'm sure that you'll do well and be fine!! Great entry here!