It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, March 20, 2009

Chapter 3, Page 20, Book 09


March bustles in on windy feet
And sweeps my doorstep and my street.
She washes and cleans with pounding rains,
Scrubbing the earth of winter stains.
She shakes the grime from carpet green
Till naught but fresh new blades are seen.
Then, house in order, all neat as a pin,
She ushers gentle springtime in.

Author Unknown


A Fable for Friday

Once when there was a famine, a kind, rich baker sent for twenty of the poorest children in the town and said to them, "In this basket there is a loaf for each of you. Take it and come back to me everyday at this hour till God sends us better times."The hungry children gathered eagerly about the basket and most quarreled over the bread, because each wished to have the largest loaf.
At last they went away without even thanking the Good Samaritan. But Gretchen, a poorly dressed little girl, did not quarrel or struggle with the rest, but remained standing quietly to the side. When the ill-behaved children had left, she took the smallest loaf, which alone was left in the basket, kissed the gentleman's hand and went home.The next day the children were as ill-behaved as before and poor, timid Gretchen received a loaf scarcely half the size of the one she got the first day.
When she went home and her mother cut the loaf open, many new shining pieces of silver fell out of it. Her mother was very much alarmed and said, "Take the money back to the good gentleman at once, for it must have gotten into the dough by accident. Be quick, Gretchen, be quick."
But when the little girl gave the rich man her mother's message he said, "No, no, my child, it was no mistake, I had the silver pieces put into the smallest loaf to reward you. Always be as contented, kind and thankful as you are now. Go home now, and tell your mother that the money is your own


PROVERB FOR TODAY

Even Children are known by their behavior:
Their actions show if they are innocent and good

Proverbs 20:11


GOOD MORNING !

It’s FRIDAY and a VERY Happy Spring to you all !

We all gain a reputation, whether it be an admirable one, or one that is shameful by the things we do. All of us fail at times and even our children will act naughty sometimes

Yet I’ve found that children are often so wise in what they say and do. They are born honest and true and we can help them reinforce good habits and overcome the bad habits.

I love the things that come ‘out of the mouths’ of babes. They speak from the heart and sometimes get a little confused about what a word can really mean so it sounds all the funnier coming from them.

Here are just a few I found on the net for you to enjoy:

A new neighbor asked the little girl next door if she had any brothers and sisters. She replied, "No, I'm the lonely child

Our five-year-old son Mark couldn't wait to tell his father about the movie we had watched on television, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." The scenes with the submarine and the giant octopus had kept him wide-eyed. In the middle of the telling, my husband interrupted Mark, "What caused the submarine to sink?" With a look of incredulity Mark replied, "Dad, it was the 20,000 leaks

When my grandson, Billy, and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects. Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy whispered, "It's no use, Grandpa. The mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights

I’ve heard my own grand ‘babes’ come up with some great ones…I really need to write them down so I’ll remember them.



BLESSING FOR TODAY

May God give you...

For every storm, a rainbow,

For every tear, a smile,

For every care, a promise

And a blessing in each trial.

For every problem life sends,

A faithful friend to share,

For every sigh, a sweet song,

And an answer for each prayer

‘On Ya’- ma

As you make your way through this hectic world of ours, set aside a few minutes each day. At the end of the year, you'll have a couple of days saved up. --Age 7


8 comments:

Cindi said...

I started "journaling" about 18 years...all because of "c-boy"...he would say the funniest things...enjoy your day!...thx for the reminder, I need to look back at my journal & find some funny stories!

Hollie said...

You have made me chuckle this morning! Thanks a million! Do start writing them down to share with us.

HAPPY SPRING!!!!!!

Rose said...

Happy Spring to you too my dear friend.

Hugs,Rose

Joyce said...

Loved out of the mouths of Babes...so cute...all of them. Hope you have a lovely Spring weekend...enjoy!!!
Hugs and love,
Joyce

scrappy quilter said...

Happy spring to you friend. I love the words that come out of little ones. I always remember when we were going by a C*oke plant and there was a horrible smell. I said to hubby, I wonder what that is. Our little 3 year old C said, "mommy, it must be the C*ke plant." We laughed all the way home.

Have a wonderful spring day.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Happy Spring to you ~ such a wonderful time of the year ~ I always enjoy reading your blog and I love the little stories you tell us ~ Ally x

Kath said...

Kids do say the funniest things.We used to have a program on English TV called "Kids say the funniest things Ma,and I loved it.Boy did it make you laugh.Mine have said many over the yrs.I love the verse in this post and also the story of the bread.My Father always taught us to choose the smallest of whatever was being given or handed out.I always taught my children the same too.Thankyou for the memories of the funny things kids say and the bread story.Have a lovely week,I'll be back as soon as possible.I hope the sun shines on you all weekend.I shall miss your lovely posts.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Kathy said...

Happy Spring to you too. I enjoyed your stories and the out of the mouths of babes stories too. Such good stuff. Have a great weekend and hopefully you'll have some good weather to go with it.